• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intermittent death wobble

CleanInstall

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 cherokee with a 4.5 inch rusty's lift. The lift has been on for about 2 years and for the past couple of months, I have been having some death wobble issues above 40-45 mph. Never an issue before, so it seems that something must be worn out. I have checked all the front end components (Tie rod ends, ball joints, hubs, etc.) and while most of it is old, they are tight, as in no play. It seems to happen during long left curves for some reason, and of course if I am on the gas and go over a large bump or pothole. I am leaning toward bad control arm bushings(uppers) but I wanted to get some input from those who may have had similar issues.

also, the truck still has the sway bar drop brackets that came with the lift(crappy, I know) but could this be a factor?

This might sound stupid, but i was having death wobble and was fearing the worst... checked my lugs, torqued them to factory specs and haven't had a problem since. Worth a try.

well it definitely not as simple as the lug torque, I do appreciate the input. My trackbar is adjustable and has heim joints on both sides, although I really don't trust the factory front axle-side mount. How much of a role can caster play in this issue? I've noticed that even with the suspesion fully settled, the front coils do have a noticeable curve from the frame mount to the axle mount (as in the axle is sitting further back than the frame mount).

I have about an inch showing on the factory caster adjustment bolts, so if this could be part of the problem, how much should i adjust it?

also, what is the procedure for adjusting this? do I just loosen the frame side LCA bolts and crank away at the adjusters or what?

Back