• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj tranny swap auto to manual

yes this was very helpful to me but i am kind of getting the idea that this is for early 90's xj w/o obdII and other components. will this change anything?

I think you can bet on it requiring a controller change - since OBD-II is picky about things like that. I believe that OBD-II also integrated the TCU into the engine controller (I can't swear to it at the moment...) and that's also a factor. If it did, you're looking at a ECU/PCM swap as well, or OBD will throw codes when it sees "something wrong" with the transmission (it won't realise it's not there.)

You shouldn't need to do any sheetmetal work (apart from knocking out the holes for mounting the clutch pedal and master hydraulics, and possibly relocating the transmission crossmember - holes are there, but the threads may be rusted out,) which simplifies things for you. Again, however, it's going to be a fair amount of work - and it may be easier overall to just find a rig with a manual already in, instead of converting from a slushbox. Or, do a "frame-off" job (I know - it's a unibody. It's still going to require a full strip) to make access easy, and then just build it back up the way you want to.

Back