• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 ARB trouble

mekcanix

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks I have been searching for awhile now and can't find the info I am after.

I have a Dana 30 with a ARB and the bolts that hold on the end cap keep backing out I have tried blue locktight , keeper rings, lokwashers, and torquing the hell out of them Nothing works.

I have put on a custom diff cover to stiffen up the works but still every time i wheel it the bolts back out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

It sounds like you have the early style(like I do).Loctite on clean threads is your friend,no problem with mine in over 7 years!

red and shim the hell out of it mine did it 2 times blowing ring gear out

Try chasing the threads and tapping the holes, use brake cleaner, simple green, any de-greaser to get it super clean and dry in there. If you don't, the locktite doesn't like to work. Red locktite doesn't cement the thing in, so if you don't want your shit to come appart, don't be affraid to use it.

When I got the locker the previous owner had a problem with it blowing the heads off of the bolts and yes it is the old style 3 piece case. So the idea of using red loctite kinda filled me with dread but its either this or pull the damn thing

Something is wrong with the gear setup, or you've got a bent housing. Pull the carrier and axles and then take a nice long straight edge and slide it down the tube. 36" metal ruler will work, and you can get one at HD for cheap. See if it sits flush across the tubes where they enter the housing, if not, you've got a bent housing. Something is definately wrong, it shouldn't be coming apart or "blowing" the heads off the bolts. Are the caps installed right? There's a letter stamped on the housing and on the cap, one will be upright, and one will be 90 degrees, make sure the letter on the cap corresponds to the housing.

Something is wrong with the gear setup, or you've got a bent housing. Pull the carrier and axles and then take a nice long straight edge and slide it down the tube. 36" metal ruler will work, and you can get one at HD for cheap. See if it sits flush across the tubes where they enter the housing, if not, you've got a bent housing. Something is definately wrong, it shouldn't be coming apart or "blowing" the heads off the bolts. Are the caps installed right? There's a letter stamped on the housing and on the cap, one will be upright, and one will be 90 degrees, make sure the letter on the cap corresponds to the housing.
Relax,young "Skywalker",this is/was a common problem with the early D30 ARB's.It could be on a street rig and still have the bolts loosen up!

Back