• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally passed emissions!

incredibledrechsel

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all!

First post here, and wanted to thank everyone for this site and the knowledge everyone shares here. It has been very, very useful over the last couple of years. Onto my story with a somewhat "happy" ending...

I've been tearing my hair out for the last month trying to pass emissions with my '95 XJ in the state of Arizona. My exhaust manifold had formed a crack, right at the Y, and was recently replaced with an aftermarket one from Rusty's, as well as a junkyarded '99 intake manifold. I was confident with my father's skills as a mechanic, and was expecting an easy pass for emissions.

Well, things got interesting. I failed. Replaced vacuum lines, oxygen sensor, thermostat, and re-torqued everything. I failed again. Missed my registration date, had to go to the DMV to make sure I was legal. Replaced plugs, wires, and tried a different exhaust fitting, amongst checking everything, again. Twice. Took it in today, passed with flying colors...

And although overhauling helped, there was one other detail that was different on the tests...

MY VEHICLE HAS SIX CYLINDERS. IT WAS BEING TESTED AS A FOUR CYLINDER.

That's my little bit of emissions "advice". :smsoap:

- Robbie.

incredibledrechsel said:
Hello all!

First post here, and wanted to thank everyone for this site and the knowledge everyone shares here. It has been very, very useful over the last couple of years. Onto my story with a somewhat "happy" ending...

I've been tearing my hair out for the last month trying to pass emissions with my '95 XJ in the state of Arizona. My exhaust manifold had formed a crack, right at the Y, and was recently replaced with an aftermarket one from Rusty's, as well as a junkyarded '99 intake manifold. I was confident with my father's skills as a mechanic, and was expecting an easy pass for emissions.

Well, things got interesting. I failed. Replaced vacuum lines, oxygen sensor, thermostat, and re-torqued everything. I failed again. Missed my registration date, had to go to the DMV to make sure I was legal. Replaced plugs, wires, and tried a different exhaust fitting, amongst checking everything, again. Twice. Took it in today, passed with flying colors...

And although overhauling helped, there was one other detail that was different on the tests...

- Robbie.

My jeep just passed emissions friday ha. I was in and out in a few minutes no wait at all. With the jeep they just plug it in and no dyno sniffer on it, so I dont get a nice print out like my other vehicles. All I get is a 'pass' but oh well at least I passed and no hassle!

incredibledrechsel said:
Hello all!

- Robbie.

LESSON - Always read the paperwork from any test - especially one that got a "Fail" result. It may not be your fault...

Nice.

I go roundy-rounds with "smog techs" out here. I have a 1988.

You see, the XJ w/AMC engine was "pre-OBD" until 1991 (OBD-I 1991-1995, OBD-II 1996-2001,) so it gives them fits. AMC built the dash with the CEL lense in the bezel, but the only engine that actually used it was the GM 2.8L V6. It wasn't used with the 150ci four, and it wasn't used with the 242ci six.

Therefore, I always have to take the FSM with me to prove that's it's pre-OBD when I take it in to get smogged. At least I don't have to do the "treadmill" test - I tell them it's converted to AWD (I figure if I have to go to all the work to convince them that I did not "convert" it from OBD-I control electronics, I can get them to think that they don't need to run it on the dyno. I don't trust them with my clutch anyhow.)

What a pain in the arse.

Now they send me to "Test Only" stations (cost 2-3x as much,) because I fit a "profile for gross emitters." (I certainly don't, once you see the emissions results.) And, there's some yo-yo in the State Assembly trying to get vehicles 15+ years old smogged every damned year (again!) at a "Test Only" station. It seems to be shut down (again,) but you never know if/when it may end up passing...

This is just a headache I don't need. I don't like anything new, I don't like OBD-I (OBD-II is marginally useful - at least there's an industrywide standard for it,) and I don't see why I should be cornered into buying an unsuitable vehicle. Sounds like an answer in search of a question to me - if the problem is emissions control, there are better ways to go about it. If it's funding for the "Vehicle Retirement Programme," then it can be better funded by cutting pay for Congresscritters. Then cutting middle management in "civil service" - you know, those arseholes who don't actually do anything or get anything done, and are paid a foolish amount for not doing it.

incredibledrechsel said:
Hello all!

- Robbie.

Here in Pa. all they do is test your gas cap if it passes you get a nice sticker put on your windshield.:repair:
redeye202

@ IWannaDie

I took a friend's vehicle to emissions for her. It was OBD-II. What a breeze.

And if you got to MyAZCar.com, there is a "Vehicle Inspection History link off to the side. Might try digging out your VIN and seeing if it gives you detailed specs for HC, CO, CO2, NOx.

@ 5-90

Lesson LEARNED. And the that's why I went to a different test location. The same test location that jumped my Jeep off the Dyno and almost ran over the cooling fan and a Supervisor two years ago. *Sigh*

Wait, that old V6 had an OBD plug? I thought EVERYTHING on that car was backwards! Or at least all I've seen from looking at one acquaintance's '88 or '89 (?). Broke his transmission and ate some gears, and I got the call to fix it because I'm the Jeep "expert". Got a whole lot of learning before I even touch the insides of a tranny, much less one of those with twenty years and who knows how many miles. Everything on that car was a disaster.

Couldn't agree with you more on emissions being a "retirement" program. All the signage for the emissions place was referring to "older vehicles" as anything pre '04. :scared: I've had my eyes on 60's and 70's muscles cars for years now, and a '71 - '73 240 Z is definitely on my want list. But don't even want to think of the arguments I'd have when I modify that engine, or drop a bigger one in it's place. All those cars are WAY older than me.

In Arizona, you apparently have the right to sit in the passenger seat as they perform the test. If your state has something similar, it might save your clutch!

And whoa, your battery cables look way nice! If any of my audio goes back in my Jeep, you might get a call. Rockford Fosgate wanted me to see if I could pass THX spec. Mwhahaha.

Thanks for the reply!

- Robbie

@ RedEye202

The gas cap test was the only thing I passed on the first try! hahaha, you get seriously get a sticker? Should be one of those ones you get for oil changes. "Next gas cap check due 09/13/2010"

I swear they always do the gas cap check last for me, its like they see Im passing everything and are hoping to get me on the cap. Everyone I know always say that the gas cap test fails them. Seems like an easy way to bring cars back in for a re-test with the cap. Im guessing you have to pay the test fee again too if you fail? I keep saying Im going to carry a spare cap just incase I fail that test Ill make them re-do right then.

incredibledrechsel said:
@ 5-90

Lesson LEARNED. And the that's why I went to a different test location. The same test location that jumped my Jeep off the Dyno and almost ran over the cooling fan and a Supervisor two years ago. *Sigh*

Wait, that old V6 had an OBD plug? I thought EVERYTHING on that car was backwards! Or at least all I've seen from looking at one acquaintance's '88 or '89 (?). Broke his transmission and ate some gears, and I got the call to fix it because I'm the Jeep "expert". Got a whole lot of learning before I even touch the insides of a tranny, much less one of those with twenty years and who knows how many miles. Everything on that car was a disaster.

Couldn't agree with you more on emissions being a "retirement" program. All the signage for the emissions place was referring to "older vehicles" as anything pre '04. :scared: I've had my eyes on 60's and 70's muscles cars for years now, and a '71 - '73 240 Z is definitely on my want list. But don't even want to think of the arguments I'd have when I modify that engine, or drop a bigger one in it's place. All those cars are WAY older than me.

In Arizona, you apparently have the right to sit in the passenger seat as they perform the test. If your state has something similar, it might save your clutch!

And whoa, your battery cables look way nice! If any of my audio goes back in my Jeep, you might get a call. Rockford Fosgate wanted me to see if I could pass THX spec. Mwhahaha.

Thanks for the reply!

- Robbie

Apparently, we don't have that right out here. But, I have geen able to sit in the driver's seat on a couple of tests, just because I was being obstinate (I'm soooo good at that...)

Yep, the GM was OBD-I, because the 2.8L V6 was OBD-I from the start, and AMC bought the thing from GM compleat with their control system. So yeah, I'm sure it was OBD-I. The AMC engines used RENIX controls (RENault/bendIX - actually Bendix/King, from what I've found so far...) and those were pre-OBD - the AMC 2.46L and 4.0L didn't get OBD-spec electronics until ChryCo replace RENIX with their rot in 1991.

The problem with OBD-I is that it was specified by California Air Resources Board, but there was no real plan for implementation (that's why there are no less than three versions of OBD-I - GM/Ford/Chrysler - with variations for imports.) OBD-II makes more sense because it was spec'd by SAE, and the only real variations extant are in the comms bus between the various control units (the bus to the OBD diagnostic port is the same by default, they all use the same DTCs, and they all use the same plug and pinout. They have to.)

You had a buddy blow up an AW4? How? I only lost one - and that was because three bellhousing screws worked loose (the problem was that the first planetary gearset got skewed in the case - I needed a Sawzall to take it apart. Clutches and hydraulics were fine. Amazing, after the abuse I'd put it to...)

As far as RENIX electronics - I've only heard of three ECU failures to date worldwide (one was in South Africa, and one in Eastern Europe somewhere.) I have the board from South Africa, and the Eastern Europe owner seems to have come up with a fix - since all of the failures have been blown injector drivers, it seems simple enough if you can run a soldering iron. The fix was actually devised on the board here - you can search it up. I believe it was either Mr_W or Mr W that came up with it (or a variation thereon. MrW?)

I don't just do "battery" cables, either. If you give me the measurements, I can do it - just hit me backchannel with what you want. Customs are no trouble, and if I don't have an OEM app listed yet, it's because no-one has asked for it (I could get info out of the aftermarket catalogues, but they always run too long, and I don't want that.)

@ RedEye202

The gas cap test was the only thing I passed on the first try! hahaha, you get seriously get a sticker? Should be one of those ones you get for oil changes. "Next gas cap check due 09/13/2010"

Yep you get a sticker that is good for one year,they put it next to the vehicle safety inspection sticker which also is good for one year. All this crap is just another tax on you.
redeye202

Back