• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Removal Suggestions Needed

hitchhiker

NAXJA Forum User
This is on a 2000 xj, I've got the sides removed and the two bolts that go though the bottom but I can not get a good enough grip on the two nuts that are inside the bumper to remove them. I had a hand wrench on it once but it put a lip on the nut intead of moving it and now the correct size box wrench won't go over it anymore all the way on.

I wasn't planning on getting a new bumper, just trying to get it off so I can put in a new nut strip on the passenger side as mine is all rusted up.

I soaked them in aerokroil last night but the bolt looks rather large from corrosion.

Would kinda suck to destroy the bumper to get it off to install a hitch when a lot of aftermarket bumpers come with built in receivers.

Any suggestions on how to get it off before I decide to just bend the bumper up so I can get them straight on with an impact wrench?

are you trying to take the bumper off the brackets? just pull the 3 bolts out of the brackets on each side and take them off with the bumper, much easier.

edit: i just read yours is a 2000... on the 96 and down this will work im not familiar with the newer XJs, but i dont think it changed.

Yeah, trying to take the bumper off the brackets. I've screwed up that side and managed to round off the edges just enough so that I can't get the box end socket back on anymore.

I think I'll be able to get the bracket off on that side though like you suggested, I just need a 2 inch deep 15mm socket to clear the other metal and reach those bolts from the bottom. Wouldn't you know it but I only have 1 inch and 3 inch.

Damien666 said:
This is on a 2000 xj, I've got the sides removed and the two bolts that go though the bottom but I can not get a good enough grip on the two nuts that are inside the bumper to remove them. I had a hand wrench on it once but it put a lip on the nut intead of moving it and now the correct size box wrench won't go over it anymore all the way on.

I wasn't planning on getting a new bumper, just trying to get it off so I can put in a new nut strip on the passenger side as mine is all rusted up.

I soaked them in aerokroil last night but the bolt looks rather large from corrosion.

Would kinda suck to destroy the bumper to get it off to install a hitch when a lot of aftermarket bumpers come with built in receivers.

Any suggestions on how to get it off before I decide to just bend the bumper up so I can get them straight on with an impact wrench?

I removed all four bracket bolts on each side last time. It's a PITA. If you can get your hands on a small air ratchet, that would make life much easier!

I have a 2000 and removed mine 1 month ago. Remove the dust strip between the bumper and weatherstriping. I used a couple swivel extensions and had no problem getting to the bracket bolts. I left them attached to the bumper and it all came apart very easy.

I've removed the bumper on my 2001 quite a few times, I never thought of removing the 2 brackets instead of the 2 nuts inside the bumper...

Mind you mine isn't rusty at all so it's just time consuming to remove the nuts, but not impossible.

Thanks all, removing the brackets from the jeep was a lot easier then removing the bumper from the bracket once I popped the little plastic rivets on the dust shield and pulled that out. I also pulled up the weather strip on the bottom to give myself a bit more room.

Now I've got my nice new hitch and the bumper back on without really breaking anything but those plastic rivets.

Back