• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Tires ?

Wallymander

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so i bought this 87 MJ a couple of weeks ago. It was bound to happen,
one of the crappy tires went flat.I mean theres no life left in it. Theres three types of tires on it, im ready to put some good rubber on her, but am not going to be lifting it anytime soon. Mainly running around taking the mountain bike to the trails and picking up stuff my wife finds on Craigslist.
Its 4WD though and i have been known to not take the paved road much of the time,... so i guess the question is, any suggestions on which tire i should go with? Im in OKC, it snows a little here and theres a lot of red dirt (AKA clay) which nothing gets traction on when wet.
Ive owned BFG ATs and MTs with high satisfaction on both. I just like to shop around before buying more of the same without checking out the competetion.
Thoughts?

1987 MJ 4.0 AW4 no mods....at all. Well, XM Radio.

I'd say BFG AT's if you do most of you driving on road. The MT's are lousy on snow, but the AT's perform somewhat decently...

The MT's will cope with more clay, and the track will rinse itself from the g-forces when reaching a certain speed, but if it's the real sticky kind of clay nothing will help you (Except Boggers with every other lug cut out... But there goes your road driving :laugh3: )

However... MT's DO look better... even on paved road....

(Tried the Pro-Comp X-terrains, but I would choose BFG MT's over them; on- AND off-road)

that's what I think anyhow...

I run the BFG AT 30x9.50-15s on my DD. Like you, I've had really good luck with the BFG MTs and ATs.

Back