• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

zj pitman arm on xj

whompinxj

NAXJA Forum User
i dont know where i read it, but i heard that the pitman arm from a zj has 1 inch more drop than a cherokee and that you can swap them out. can anyone tell me if this is true and if there is any modifications needed to make it work?

whompinxj said:
i dont know where i read it, but i heard that the pitman arm from a zj has 1 inch more drop than a cherokee and that you can swap them out. can anyone tell me if this is true and if there is any modifications needed to make it work?

why not just buy a dropped pitman man arm made for the XJ's? i've seen them with a 1" drop sell on ebay in the 50$ range...

im on a tight budget and my buddy works at a junk yard so it would be a freebie and I just got a drop trac bar mount so i think that without the drop pitman arm its gonna ride like poo

whompinxj said:
im on a tight budget and my buddy works at a junk yard so it would be a freebie and I just got a drop trac bar mount so i think that without the drop pitman arm its gonna ride like poo

No mods necessary. Bolt it on and you're fine. Gives about 3/4-1" drop. I've got one on mine and it's identical to the XJ one except for length. Don't worry about 'getting one made for the XJ', because it's unnecessary. Mine wnet on when I did the RE trackbar and bracket to ensure proper angles on everything.

whompinxj said:
if i dont drop the pitman arm with the trac bar dropped will i get major steering issues?

Not major ones, but your angles won't precisely match. I guess by asking the original question of whether the ZJ arm would fit on an XJ, I'd have assumed you've done the homework on this issue already, no?

I ran a ZJ arm for the last three years. Bolts right up just like any other pitman arm. For a donor ZJ I want to say skip the first model year of the ZJ. I got mine from a Jeep mechanic and he told me that Jeep changed the pitman arm half-way through the first year of production, if I remember correctly.

By the way I have that ZJ pitman arm that has been reamed to accept a chevy 1-ton dle then let me know via PM.

The problems you will face only running the ZJ pitman without altering the trackbar angle to suit will be it will pull one way when braking and the other when accelerating. You will also get what is known as bump steer where the Jeep will steer when the suspension moves without any input from the steering wheel.

Ex CCS Racer said:
It's a direct bolt up with Moog parts from Carquest. Everyone can talk about angles and alignment all they want. It's stronger and you won't know the difference as far as steering and suspension. Here are the part#'s you'll need. It bolts up in 5 minutes.

ES2079S Adjusting Sleeve- $15
ES3096L Short Tie Rod End- $20
DS1312 Long Tie Rod End- $60

Shush, woman...you're out of your element.

Gojeep said:
The problems you will face only running the ZJ pitman without altering the trackbar angle to suit will be it will pull one way when braking and the other when accelerating. You will also get what is known as bump steer where the Jeep will steer when the suspension moves without any input from the steering wheel.

times 2

Back