• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lincoln Locker???

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have a question about the so-called Lincoln Locker. Is this basically just welding up the spider gears? The other question is, what if you want to change gears or go back to an open differential, how hard is it once that's done?

I have the 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 in my 98 XJ and know several people who run them successfully locked like that. I'm planning on getting up to some 33's soon and just wonder if this is too much stress.

Its going to be as strong as your welds. Hose the spider gears down with brake clean and air to get the gear oil off and give it hell. You know if you already have a trac-lock you can rebuild it with an extra friction disc and get it to act just like a locker?

Save you pennies and do it right....
While I know people that run LLs.... unless this vehicle is strictly for the trail... I would spend the money and install whatever fits your needs; Detroit Locker, PowerTrax NoSlip, Detroit TruTrac, ARB or etc......

My rig is a weekend toy, so the only real street driving will be to the trailhead. I just wanted to know what happens if you for whatever reason want to go back to an open diff. after doing the LL.

Back