• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME extra leaf? Or??

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97, Rubicon Express 3.5 full leaves, it has been over 4 years of hard use and I carry ALOT of wieght, the back is starting to sag.... I called Dirk at DPG, he recommended an "extra" leaf from OME, he said its not an add-a-leaf... and about $50 to my door!

I am looking for any opinions to raise me up an inch or maybe 2". I already have a longer shackle. Needs to stay soft and FLEXY, yet support the weight.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Adding a leaf to a pack that's on it's last legs can be a losing battle if they are really starting to sag. Are they bent or going into a negative arch?
You could rebuild yours with a mix of other leaf springs, aka 'a bastard pack', buy a new RE pack and throw in an additional leaf, or go custom National/Alcan/Deaver springs.

I've done the bastard pack and now have Nationals designed for the lift and load. They're expensive but worth every penny.

Mine are just sagging a bit. They started out a little high, then settled to level within a few months. I added a longer shackle. here I am a few years later, they have lost maybe 1 to 1.5 inches. By no means flat or negative! I am assuming if I took off the roof the rack, the spare tire, the hi-lift, and then take out of the back hatch area, my pull out table, 3 full length drawers full of parts and junk, a toolbox full of tools, 10lb CO2 tank, 5lb fire Ext, and a mini Fire ext. and hitch and HEAVY homemade gas tank skid, that it would rise up a bit.

what to do?.... short of buying new springs!

Back