• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has used the Short Pro Comp AAL?

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching and searching and couldn't find much. Basically, I have a very limited budget, and want to get 2" of lift to hold me over for the next 8-12 months. I do very light wheeling right now. I plan on buying 2" front spacers and a Pro Comp short AAL at my local store tomorrow. Cost is $80 out the door. My rear leafs are in okay condition. Not terrible, but not new. Anyone have any experience with the short pro comp?

This is what short AALs do:
P1020195.jpg

That said I ran it for years like that. Not the best option, but it works. To fix I added a cut down XJ main to get rid of that bend, so far so good.

Your best and cheapest option would be to get ahold of another used stock leaf pack and mix and match until you like where it sits, you can get anywhere from 3/4"-3" that way.

That was a leaf out of a 98 XJ that was fairly tired. I cracked a main leaf, that was the replacement I got from a local club member. That was the day I did the swap, the leaf had never seen lift.

That being said, it rode fine for several weeks on top of the 2+ years the other leaf had seen. It's not a big deal, really since you plan on replacing it eventually. It's just not a good starting point if you want to go 4"-5" of lift with that same pack. And your springs may be healthier and not bend like that or as much. :dunno:

Also note I had longer shackles as well, that probably makes the problem a bit worse as well. But the point is a short AAL doesn't support all the way to the end, and thats what could happen.

Is there a full length AAL option for minimal additional cost?

mbogosia said:
Whats your experience?

Extended shackles, blocks, and short add a leaf lifts put extra stress on the stock Cherokee leaf pack and will speed up the normal sagging of the leaf packs. Blocks also add to axle wrap and can cause individual leaves to break. I have done 5 Cherokee lifts and helped a few more in our local club lift their XJ's higher and have seen all of the above happen.

A full length add a leaf that goes from front spring eye to rear spring eye will lift the rear of the Cherokee, add some cargo capacity, allow for decent flex, and give a firm but not harsh ride on pavement. I just removed a full length RE BB from my 2000 that was 3 years old, had been to Moab, and to Central Colorado and still going strong. Search the forum, many people have used extra Cherokee or S-10 Blazer spring packs to add a leaf to their stock springs.

Back