• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle swap adventure and some ?'s

ethernet

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this all may seem weird but there is always reason to my madness... Here is the deal...

I am in the process of selling my Jeep. Before I sell it I decided it would be a good idea to pull the rear Dana 44. The only reason I want to do this is so I can put it in my next Jeep. I also had a D35 just sitting under my parts Jeep so I started the swap. Call me crazy or flame me or what ever you want, I don't care, I just need some questions answered...

First off, what is the width of the Dana 35 axle tube? I believe I read somewhere that it is about 2.66. So I will need u-bolts with 2.75" inside width correct? (all of the old u-bolts were bent and/or rusted)

Second question. It regards drive shafts. Will I be able to use the same drive shaft that was installed with the 44 with the 35? The only thing that makes me question it is the length of the pinion is shorter. Will I be okay using the same drive shaft or are there different drive shafts in relation to different axles?

Third and final question I believe. I have read all about axle shims and everything. In order to measure it is saying I need to have the axle bolted under the Jeep and then take all the measurements to determine what degree of shim I will need. But due to the above questions I can not bolt it all in and measure. I have about 6" of lift. I don't care if it comes out perfect because like I said, I am selling it. I believe I have read that 6 degree's should do about right. Does that sound correct?

Hope that all makes sense. If not let me know and I will try and clarify some more... Thanks in advance for all of your help...

The diameter of the d-35 axle tube is about 2.5" so the inside bend of the U-bolts need to match that, the length of the U-bolts depends on your spring pack, U-bolt plates, etc.

With 6" lift you will need at least the stock d-35 shaft or maybe one longer and drop your t-case with some spacers and bolts(remove the studs)

You need to get it all mounted up before you can determine if you need shims or not.

Thanks. I already have a t-case drop installed do I guess I need to go to the JY to find a D35 drive shaft. Another problem I ran into is that some how my centering pin on my leaf spring broke. I am going to need a new centering pin and I noticed that they come with alot of the shims. So I think I am going to just buy a set of shims that should work out alright. What degree would you recommend? I understand that I should measure first, but in this case it's not going to work out.

Back