• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rod knock starting

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
well my 88 has about 170k on the clock and its begining to get a slight rod knock. i've only owned it for the last 10k or so and have done all types of maintenance stuff. just curious as to how i can prolong the life of the engine for as long as possible? are there any tips out there? i know to keep the oil changed and to keep out of the skinny pedal. anyone have any other secrets?

TIA

i'm pretty confident its rod knock. its not bad yet but i can hear it at idle, and when i'm going through a fdrive through. i cant hear it when i'm moving so its not horrible yet.

i'm hoping to make it through winter but i'm not sure this thing is worth an engine swap.

If you are SURE it is a rod knock , pull the pan and change the rod bearings . Before I would attempt this I would check the oil pressure with a mechanical oil pressure gauge to make sure it has oil pressure . You may want to install a new oil pump while you have the pan off . This if done correctly should get you through the winter , as long as the crank is not to roughfed up .

I'm interested in this thread. My Jeep has a barely discernable knock at idle. I don't know if it is a rod or not since I'm holding 30-40psi at idle warm. It could be the noisy valvetrain or the exhaust leak also.

89xj said:
have you ruled out loose flexplate bolts as the knock you here?

that i have not.

i'll crawl under it this weekend and get a better listen.

thanks guys

Back