• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator problem

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
My alternator went out about a week or so ago giving me problems I took it off got it tested and said failed bad. I bought a brand new one and put it on and still having the same problem. I got my battery checked it said good battery took the alternator back off go the new one tested it said good. See my battery gauge moves up and down at night my lights blink. I think my power wire from the alternator may be frayed or messed up. It ony messes up sometime the alternator is charging but still is aggravating. I thinks it the wire cause it want be messing up u can shake that wire and the check engine light will pop on saying alternator problem. Just like it does sometimes going down the highway. Any suggestions?

Welcome CC88!:wave1:

It certainly sounds like an open in the wire.
I'd check the wire plug end first, the connection is probably loose.

Start by looking at the ground wires, in particular the strap between the back of the head and the firewall. All of the chassis ground run through that strap and it does fall apart over time. That might clean up some of your problems, but it isn't unusual to see some fluctuation of the dash gauge with the blinkers or the radio when cranked. The dash gauge isn't very accurate, so you want to check with a meter at the battery. All this seems normal for the older Jeeps.

You might also check the cables and connectors at the battery as the cables tend to rot as well. I just got done replacing my cables and clamps with marine style clamps (have a post and nut to attach cables) and new cables. Made a huge difference in cranking speed and voltage reading at the dash.

CherokeeCrawler88 said:
well cables and ground seem to be fine. I'm thinking it may be the alternator power wire seems to frayed. when I wiggle it my alternator messes up.

than replace the wire:dunno:

Back