• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ coils on MJ

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
cant find this ANYWHERE....
do XJ coils mount up on the MJ?.

i know this is a total newb question but still....

i has an 86 MJ thats stock...and the height on this "stock" seems a lot lower than the height of a "stock" XJ......

i wanna do the SOA in the rear and lift the front as well.....

Also....i have the heavy duty payload leafs in the rear.....should i remove those?
i imagine they would limit flex?!

AH HELL YA!!!!!
ya i just had an 86 XJ and then got this MJ and it seems SOOOOOOOO different....

thanks....

do you know if the stock springs are taller on xj?.....
cuz i might be getting some xj coils and leafs and the budget 2" spacers.....
im thinkin it should even up pretty close to the rear?

Front is the exact set-up as on an xj.
stock xj coils wont give you any lift unless yours are sagged hat bad or its an up-country spring. the rear is spring under, swap to spring over and you will net 5 or 6" of lift using the factory leafs.

Last edited:
awesome thanks.....
do you know if the long bed is different from short bed in regards to the rear susp?

There is no differance between the two bed styles. You might even have a dana 44 under it. Total cost to spring over the rear of my buddies mj was $32 and got him around 5".

awesome awesome!.....
i tried the Vin decode and crap like that but nothing seems to be accurate....
whats best way to tell what axles are?....
and would you suggest pulling out the HD leaf?

$32!!!! how did you do that?!!!!!!!

in4aride said:
awesome awesome!.....
i tried the Vin decode and crap like that but nothing seems to be accurate....
whats best way to tell what axles are?....
and would you suggest pulling out the HD leaf?

$32!!!! how did you do that?!!!!!!!

You mean overload leaf?

There are TONS of axle identification threads and things both here and on other intarwebs, google it!

He probably paid $30 for used coils for the front and $2 for welding wire, haha... All you really have to do is flip the brackets, get a buddy who can weld and remember to measure twice, cut once!

You could make it NICE for $300 or so, just find some used RE adjustable control arms and other things (Tie rod? I always forget names...) and some used coils to get it done!

Mr_Random said:
You mean overload leaf?

There are TONS of axle identification threads and things both here and on other intarwebs, google it!

quote]

hahha ya im not that far yet...tryin to figure this stuff out....:geek:

this jeep with lifts and tires and blah blah blah is new to me....

im used to lowering and stretching bikes and messing with htose...im so outta place here lol:badpc:

Back