• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is the most common gears for 97+ 8.25

With a 4.0l and an automatic, I'd bet on 3.55 gears. A 4.0l and a 5spd, it should have 3.07 gears.

ChiXJeff said:
With a 4.0l and an automatic, I'd bet on 3.55 gears. A 4.0l and a 5spd, it should have 3.07 gears.

Thats what i was thinking. I thought those were the only 2 gear ratios after 97

ChiXJeff said:

I've never actually seen a 8.25 behind a 5spd from the factory.
I'm not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen one. Also, all the 5spds I have seen had ABS, so maybe that's a contributing factor.

Zuki-Ron said:
I'm not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen one. Also, all the 5spds I have seen had ABS, so maybe that's a contributing factor.
My 94 has a 4.0l with an AX15 5spd and an 8.25 rear axle. No ABS.

ABS seems to be the deciding factor on D35/8.25 rear end.

Zuki-Ron said:

Mine had one.

no guess methods.....
see how many times the rear yoke turns to one full turn of the axle shaft
OR
take off the diff cover and on the ring gear there will be stamped the toothe count. just divide the smaller into the larger.

You Could Call Your local jeep dealer with the VIN. Number.

They will be able to tell you the gear ratio.

Good Luck Nick

Zuki-Ron said:

I have a 5 Speed 8.25, albeit I have a '95.

Since this is a 97+ XJ you might check the passenger side axle tube to see if the paper information label is still intact. This will list axle type, gear ratio and whether it has a l/s or open carrier.
You can check the gear ratio another way by checking the metal tag that is under one of the differential cover bolts; which lists the gear ratio and carrier type in the information.
IF the car that you removed the C8.25 from is still intact; you can verify whether it has a full size spare. The vehicles with TracLoc carriers come with full size spare tires....
Or as Magimerlin stated..... count the number of times to driveshaft yoke turns to the number of times the axle turns; by placing a mark on the yoke and the axle flange....

My '98 came with a Corp 8.25 and an AX15 which had 3.07s and a TracLoc.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to find an 8.25 with 3.73, although you can get 3.73s for an 8.25....I don't think the factory ever put them out the door with that ratio. Try this link http://www.brooksideauto.com/inventory/retail.htm

Or you can try a yard local to you that has a parts searcher. Search for a rear axle assembly out of your year XJ. It will list what options came from the factory. I searched for 98 XJ and the ratios were:
8.25 - 4.10, 3.55, 3.07
D 35 - w/ABS 3.55, w/ABS 3.73, w/o ABS 4.11, 3.55, 3.07

I'd say that's pretty good proof that you're not going to find 3.73 in an 8.25. You can search earlier years and find that 4.56s came stock in D30/D35 combo, but only certain years. Actually finding an XJ in a yard with those gear ratios is another story!!

mjma said:
You can search earlier years and find that 4.56s came stock in D30/D35 combo, but only certain years. Actually finding an XJ in a yard with those gear ratios is another story!!

I found 2 sets at a nearby junkyard...I guess I should have taken them!

:D

Back