• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pan gasket

MTNTECH

NAXJA Member #992
Just pulled the Oil pan to replace the oil pump. Bought a Fel-Pro OS 34308R rubber replacement gasket for it. Appears that exactly the same gasket was used before. Oil pan came off and cleanly separated from the gasket which stayed intact on the block. The old gasket looks like it is in great shape and is clean. Is it possible to re-use the rubber Fel-Pro gasket? Let me know if someone has gotten away with re-using this type of gasket.

Compared to the instructions in the FSM and what I read here it really was not that bad to remove the Oil pan, I do have about 5" of lift. Took the old one off and using the new gasket and I do have the rear seal to replace at the same time.

Possible? I'm sure it is. Would I recommend it? No.

Unless a gasket is designed to be reusable, it's not worth taking the chance. I'm not a huge believer in gaskets that are designed to be reusable, but that's just me (probably the same reason I do all my own maintenance work...)

Using the new gasket, now the problem is the new oil pump Melling M-167HVS is 5/16" longer than the original pump and the pan will not go back on. It is hitting on the bottom ( pump hitting, not the screen), modification for this to fit just does not seem practical, at least 1/4 more clearance needed. Taking it back for OE pump. New this was just too easy so far.

Lemme guess - "High Volume" pump? Two points there:

1) You don't really need it - it's possible to do "dry sump" unless you do some work to improve drainback anyhow.

2) Yep - you're in for some hammer massage of the sump to get it to work, and you're better off doing that with the block on a stand. Slipping the sump pan in & out to get fitment sorted is a pain with the engine in place...

Back