• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will it fit

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I sold my other Jeep Cherokee but just acquired a new one today. It's a 99 Cherokee and needs an engine. I've located a 96 4.0, will it fit into the 99 with no problems????? Is there a chart somewhere to review the swap info????

Thanks, Dean

p.s. glad to have another Cherokee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XJ Stryker said:
Congrats on the XJ. The engine itself should fit no problem but there will be differences on the wiring harness connections. I am not aware of different motor mounts between 96-98.

The guy is selling me the engine for $200, all accessories included! It has roughly 100k miles on it.........the one that is in it had a blown head gasket and the people kept driving it until now. The rods are now knocking in it pretty bad..........What electrical connections do you speak of? If I swapped most of the electronic parts I should be good, right? I will probably use the intake manifold and injectors from the 99 and put those onto the 96 engine, same with the coil.......let me know if you had other thoughts.

Last edited:
You will have to wait for someone with a lil more EXP to chime in on this one. I own a 87 I am speaking on visual knowledge only. I have seen the engine bay of a 96 and 97+ models and engine swap should be easy but there will be electrical differences.

XJ Stryker said:
You will have to wait for someone with a lil more EXP to chime in on this one. I own a 87 I am speaking on visual knowledge only. I have seen the engine bay of a 96 and 97+ models and engine swap should be easy but there will be electrical differences.

Gotcha. I appreciate the input either way, thanks again. It feels good to have another XJ, I love those things!

The engine will fit. You will need to use the sensors for your 99 in order to keep the '99 computer happy. You will want to reuse the intake manifold on the '99 engine since it produces higher flow, but you may have to use the '96 exhaust to match the ports (not sure if exhaust ports changed in '99 or '00). You may also have a problem with the O2 sensors, but I don't know where they mount (if they are after the header then it's no big deal). The belt tensioner changed somewhere in there from being integrated into the power steering bracket to being on a separate bracket below the power steering, and they also eliminated an idler pulley I believe--basically if they are different you will need to pick one of the two and run with it (I'd go with the '99 so as not to confuse the mechanics who work on it later). Good luck with the swap.

Treat the '96 motor like a long block, swap over everything from the '99 motor to the '96 motor that is different, when in doubt, I'd swap over whats on the '99. The exception would be the exhaust manifold ehall was speaking about, compare them and see if the '99 will work on the '96.

Keep in mind, if the P.O. was driving around on a blown motor, they may have ruined some of the sensors on the '99 motor, and the '96 sensors may NOT be compatible. See if you can compare part numbers for the sensor, if they are the same part number, at least keep the '96 sensor on hand, in case the '99 sensor turn out bad from contamination from the blown motor.

Driving around on a blown motor, the exhaust manifold on the '99 motor may have been more stressed than '96. If they are the same, compare them and use the one in better condition, both the same, maybe use the '96, considering how often the 4.0L header/manifold cracked, I can imagine steam coming out a couple of cylinders from a blown headgasket could set up the header/manifold to crack soon.

Also, if your swapping parts, do yourself a favor and get NEW gaskets, don't re-use the old ones.

Rick Anderson said:
Driving around on a blown motor, the exhaust manifold on the '99 motor may have been more stressed than '96. If they are the same, compare them and use the one in better condition, both the same, maybe use the '96, considering how often the 4.0L header/manifold cracked, I can imagine steam coming out a couple of cylinders from a blown headgasket could set up the header/manifold to crack soon.

Also, if your swapping parts, do yourself a favor and get NEW gaskets, don't re-use the old ones.

Good advice on the gaskets! I've learned that lesson the hard way before.I also plan on putting on a new water pump and new thermostat as well. I also plan on putting in brass freeze plugs as I know the steel ones rust and can be a pita to change with the engine in the jeep.

Back