• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new Trailer

BIgDaddyChia

RRC Organizer
So I picked this up off Cl yesterday for 400 bucks. It has 3 brand new Toyo Open countrys on it so i figured it was more then worht it. Not sure what kind of trailer it is, but my neighbor whos i a military nut seems to think it maybe some type of european trailer. All I know is its perfect for what i need. Upgrades will inlcue a tubular axle with the correct bolt pattern, flipping the axle and adding shocks. Also gonna rhino line the tub add jerry can holders and possibly a water system.

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

avnsteve said:
good on ya Scott, how've you done on that engine search?

Think I am just gonna go to quality engine exchange. 525 for just the block ready to install or 800 for a whole rebuilt engine. But I think the head is fine so the block may be the only thing i get.

Scott, looks like a great platform for your project. I had borrowed one for Tellico 00 event that looked very similar, story was they were available through Sears back in the 50's. Maybe that'll lead ya to some info..

Yeah, i know i owe ya pics. :sad1:

BIgDaddyChia said:
Think I am just gonna go to quality engine exchange. 525 for just the block ready to install or 800 for a whole rebuilt engine. But I think the head is fine so the block may be the only thing i get.

cool, holler if you need help, i'm just a short hop away...:viking:

Nice find!

I'd shorten the tongue and put a rotating lunette on it like an M416/M100.

Example:
IMG_0088.jpg

Also the M416's track width of +/- 48" and length (lunette ring to rear edge) of 109" follows my XJ on 35's with 4.5" backspacing perfectly (through U-turns as tight as the Jeep can go). The only problem is it's a bitch to back up! If you inhale it jacknives to the left ;)

Box looks kinda like a Chevy pick-up box from the 40s-50s. Never seen that long of a hitch front arm.

Can't wait to see what you do with it. It would look really cool with some of the trapezoidal Jeep style fenders on it to match your cherokee. The taillight housings definately look to be strong enough. I really like the stake pockets on it too.

Hey, that doesn't look all that different from mine:

Trailer02.jpg

It was made by Knowles Manufacturing in Wisconson. It has a toolbox that fits on the front. The stake pockets were (crudely) enlarged by the PO. It was sold with a big 4 cyl generator in it. My buddy sold the genny and I bought the trailer. I've not yet decided what to do with it. It's a bit small to try and sleep in-perhaps some sort of fold-out tent might work.

I'd probably put one of these 360* hitches on, like the pre-made adventure trailers have.

Hey, that doesn't look all that different from mine:

Trailer02.jpg

I'd probably put one of these 360* hitches on, like the pre-made adventure trailers have.

Another good starting point but I wouldn't trust that "tongue" on it. I'd put a box tube A frame on it as it'd be much stronger for the forces it'll get offroad.

The nice thing about getting a trailer that is either beat up badly or has been modified by a previous owner is you feel less guilty for modifying it! My M416 is in such perfect original condition I just can't bring myself to cut it ;)

Nice find! Trailers are the way to go if you have alot of gear and not enough room:D Here's the one I built about eleven years ago: (my nephew put this website together for his dad) http://rockoma.com/Web4.htm It's built with Bronco springs and it uses Ford pattern wheels on 35s (only need one spare that way) as well as electric brakes (handy for coming down steep inclines and drop offs). My Bronco (and now my Toyota p/u) has towed it all over the Western Sierras (Rubicon, Dusy/Ershim, Swamp Lake........) definitely use some kind of rotating lunette ring to keep from binding (or breaking) your hitch over rough terrain. Again.......$400 dollars was a steal for that thing!---------Hans

Hey, Alex! How's it going? Never did get to congratulate you on getting married so.......congratulations! You know, I had a heck of time getting my trailer back from Bill! I'll have to send him a link to this post. I hope all is well. When you coming out this way again? Coyote Lake was awsome.....ask Bill ;) .............Sorry about the hijack---------Hans

Back