• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

F-150

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i know this has been asked a million times.

i just got some front coils from a 86 Ford F-150. will they work fo my "junkyard lift"

95 XJ country auto.

i just got them from work because we are towing it on monday. we had a lot of junker cars that we strip out for parts.

Thanks!

also, from that same ford i got a set of tow hooks. is there a place that they could just bolt into or do i have to weld them on?

if i weld were do i want to weld it to.

Gnat5680 said:
also, from that same ford i got a set of tow hooks. is there a place that they could just bolt into or do i have to weld them on?

if i weld were do i want to weld it to.
Don't weld on tow hooks. I can't tell you exactly why; it changes the characteristics of the metal or something.

Gnat5680 said:
ok so i know this has been asked a million times.

i just got some front coils from a 86 Ford F-150. will they work fo my "junkyard lift"

95 XJ country auto.

i just got them from work because we are towing it on monday. we had a lot of junker cars that we strip out for parts.

Thanks!

I got mine from a 92 F-250 and gained about 3.5"s with a 1.5" spacer. The F-150 coils should fit and give close to the same lift.

that what i was thinking. it may weaking the frame or what ever i weld it to.

so should i just drill some holes?
i need to know by monday, as for the fact that i have a date with the shop to put them on.
i have the bolts that came with it.

Well I'm still running stock shocks.Although if you have the money it might be a good idea to do it all at once, but, you can use stock ones if you need to.

Gnat5680 said:
that what i was thinking. it may weaking the frame or what ever i weld it to.

so should i just drill some holes?
i need to know by monday, as for the fact that i have a date with the shop to put them on.
i have the bolts that came with it.

Your tow hooks need to be tied into to the uniframe through multiple points to spread the stress across the thin sheet metal.
There are bracket kits sold for cheap but look for a cherokee in the junk yard that already has them and pull the brackets.

If you just bolt or weld them they'll rip off.

i might be getting a lift kit from RE with shocks if i can convince my manager to order them for cost. so i might be able to get them cheap and then i will just do that.

i will most likely use the stock shock if i go that route.

thank for the lift answers!

now all thatsa left is the tow hooks. where and how can i put them on my jeep.

You need tow hook brackets that mount to the bottom or sides of the frame rails with 4 or 5 bolts. Have them made or buy them, doesnt matter, no other way around it if you want to mount those hooks. Several companies make them, just do a search.

Gnat5680 said:
any one want to tell me where to mount the hooks and how?
bigwhitey already answered you back in post #8 - you cannot mount hooks directly to the sheetmetal frame of the XJ as you will rip them out. The hooks need to be mounted to a bracket that spreads the force out along the frame. See http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/towhook.html for an idea of what you're looking at.

new update.

due to lack of funds i will not be able to get the mounts. any suggestions on what i can do insted?

if someone has metal working plans please post them. i have access to alot of metal.

Thanks!

Back