• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crooked engine

No the cross member is pretty symetrical, but not reversible to my knowledge. Maybe check your engine mounts out. That will make the engine lean bad if one is broken. That's all I could think of. might have snapped one if you had the tranny out.

Pictures, year, engine and tranny info help alot.

If you don't have a t/c skid the crossmember doesn't care which way it goes in[as long as its rightside up]. 2X on the motor mounts. Check the motor mount brackets. They can get bent or broken & that will make the engine sit crooked.

I have not seen the cross member for several years, but I seem to remember there are about 6 holes that I think the mount could fit into although it only uses 4 of those 6 holes assuming you are using the OEM cross member.

cherokee chuck said:
If you don't have a t/c skid the crossmember doesn't care which way it goes in[as long as its rightside up]. 2X on the motor mounts. Check the motor mount brackets. They can get bent or broken & that will make the engine sit crooked.
I was mistaken about the crossmembers. I compared some XJ crossmembers today & some AX-15 crossmembers only have 4 holes in the center & if you put that type in backwards it puts the tranny mount off center. I don't know if you can bolt it up backwards but if you could it would make the engine sit crooked. The A/T crossmembers have six or eight holes in the center & can go in either way. They also work fine in 5 speed rigs. Right now my sons 95 5speed has a crossmember out of a V6 A/T.:anon:

Back