• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS front U-joint size

squidd

NAXJA Forum User
I got a driver side front axle shaft from the JY yesterday off a 1994 grand cherokee. Am I correct in thinking that this will have the larger U-joints on it?

You can use the Grand Cherokee shafts for the 297 upgrade? I didn't realize this. What are the specs that they came in? 93-98 ABS model non-cv shaft (obviously)??? Or are they in all the non-cv D30s? This could be a huge help...thanks in advance!

Wait...they are all CV type shafts...aren't they?

Last edited:
As long as the ZJ didn't come with the CV axle shafts, they will have 297s. AFAIK they never put a vac disco D30 in a ZJ.

Cool, I wonder how common the non CV shafts are then...because I've never read about that before. I'd think if that was a common find, you'd read more about it on the forum.

So I guess it will use the exact same seal as it would if you pulled it from a TJ or XJ.

So is it a straight across up grade to drop in the Rubicon variant u-joints into a 297 equipt axle shaft?

No, Rubicon shafts are 30 spline VS. the Dana 30 27 spline. Not sure about the outers though???

I have no idea how common the CV vs. Ujoint axles are in the ZJ. Last time I was at a junkyard there were 5 ZJs and 4 of them had CVs!! Before that though, I think I had only seen one or two ZJs that had the CVs.

Yes, ABS XJs have the 297 shafts.

You don't have to have ABS in an XJ to need the 297's. I have a 96 XJ Classic built in July '96 that does not have ABS. First time I went to buy u-joints for the front axles, I got home and they were too small. Ever since, I just tell them I have ABS. They never believe you if you tell them 297's without giving year, make, and model.

I really have a bastard XJ, 'cause I have to ask for '97 parts in some cases to get the right parts. The biggest problem is in sensors which sometimes have a different connector.

when I asked about swapping rubicon Ujoints, I mean keeping the axle shafts I have just swapping in the 760? U-joint that comes in the rubicon axles. I have heard that they have the same cap size and should fit. Is this true?

Both my son's '95 and my '96 do not have ABS, but you need to use the ABS axle joints. I did his '95 a few years ago, and found this out. I thought it was because it was a police vehicle. But I had to do my '96 earlier this year, and had to use the ABS joints also. Now he comes home with a '96 Classic, made in Sept. of 1996. Sure to be a bastard car! The first thing I notice is different fuel injectors, completely different from my '96 Country, they are orange on top, but have the Chrysler pentastar on them, so I assume they're stock?

Back