• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242

Jeepxj13

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to lift my xj to about 7" and going to install a SYE and cv drvieshaft. my np242 has about 230,000 miles on it and I was wondering if it was a good transfer case or should I just install a different one?

Jeepxj13 said:
I'm about to lift my xj to about 7"
Why?And yes there is nothing wrong with the 242 except aftermarket support!

ECKSJAY said:
Like what aftermarket support? The only thing I can think of that you can't get is the 2Low...
Hmmm,lets see!Talking "only" about something we can all buy tommorow "off-the-shelf". HD output shafts,HD planetaries,Wide chains and gears,4:1 kits!

Jeepxj13 said:
I'm about to lift my xj to about 7" and going to install a SYE and cv drvieshaft. my np242 has about 230,000 miles on it and I was wondering if it was a good transfer case or should I just install a different one?

If your in it that far with your stated mileage I would throw a new chain in it and look at the bearings.. They are good t-cases, just no aftermarket support for them.. good luck..

RCP Phx said:
Hmmm,lets see!Talking "only" about something we can all buy tommorow "off-the-shelf". HD output shafts,HD planetaries,Wide chains and gears,4:1 kits!

Oh, I forgot about tactical black HD kits. :dunce: And yeah, you can get TeraLow for the 242. ;) It's not 'off the shelf', but it's available. :)

I was planing on lift my 2000 with a 242 but was worried about finding a SYE for it do i even need one for that small of a lift?

You didn't state how much lift you're after, but SYE's are available for the 242. Check out Tom Wood's site. He's one of this site's sponsors and makes a quality product. Just got a SYE and driveshaft for my '99 242 yesterday and plan on installing it tomorrow!

As for the OP's question, nothing wrong with the 242 although 230,000 miles does seem like quite a lot. While you've got it opened up for the SYE I'd give it a thorough inspection and consider replacing any worn parts you find.

Sorry about that i was looking at putting 31's on more for show than wheeling right now, I have a TJ all done up for that. Anyway i have heard that all i need is a 3-3.5 inch lift to do that, at the same time we all know that will never be good enough and i will want to make it bigger at some point any suggestions?

i swapped in a 242 into my 2000, used a Tom Woods sye kit. no problems with vibes.

I'm curious as to why a 242 would be swapped out for a 231. My '95 has the 242 with SYE but I don't know what the advantage is if any. I know it has larger input splines but is it really a more desireable trans? I tried to locate a 2low kit and was told it wasn't available for the 242. Any info on the 242 over the 231 would be appreciated.

I always look at it the "other" way,What kind of "driving" will the 242 do that the 231 cant do "if" you know how to drive.I love my 231's in heavy ice/snow!

The 242 is the "Select Trac" and the 231 is the "Command Trac". The Select Trac has a "full time" 4 wheel drive position which is what you would use to drive at highway speeds. This position is only 4 hi. The "part time" 4 wheel drive position is what you use off road. This position has both 4 hi and 4 lo.

The 242 is the "Select Trac" and the 231 is the "Command Trac". The Select Trac has a "full time" 4 wheel drive position which is what you would use to drive at highway speeds. This position is only 4 hi. The "part time" 4 wheel drive position is what you use off road. This position has both 4 hi and 4 lo.

You didn't state how much lift you're after, but SYE's are available for the 242. Check out Tom Wood's site. He's one of this site's sponsors and makes a quality product. Just got a SYE and driveshaft for my '99 242 yesterday and plan on installing it tomorrow!

As for the OP's question, nothing wrong with the 242 although 230,000 miles does seem like quite a lot. While you've got it opened up for the SYE I'd give it a thorough inspection and consider replacing any worn parts you find.
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the SYE and driveshaft from Tom Woods?

Any info on the 242 over the 231 would be appreciated.
if your jeep is trail-only, then it is of no advantage.

before my XJ, i had a pathfinder and before that, an explorer. both had full-time 4wd options. when the roads were a little slick, the full-time 4wd would stick my truck to the road like glue. better, in fact, than part-time 4wd. i would use it not only in the snow but even when it rained. it was a far safer vehicle on the road because of it.

additionally, in a light snow or after the roads are plowed, when there might be both dry areas and slippery areas on the same road, the full-time 4wd causes no problems with wheel-bind on dry roads like part-time does.

when i purchased my XJ, the first two things i did was order a lift kit, and hunt down a 242 for a swap.

if your jeep is trail-only, then it is of no advantage.

before my XJ, i had a pathfinder and before that, an explorer. both had full-time 4wd options. when the roads were a little slick, the full-time 4wd would stick my truck to the road like glue. better, in fact, than part-time 4wd. i would use it not only in the snow but even when it rained. it was a far safer vehicle on the road because of it.

additionally, in a light snow or after the roads are plowed, when there might be both dry areas and slippery areas on the same road, the full-time 4wd causes no problems with wheel-bind on dry roads like part-time does.

when i purchased my XJ, the first two things i did was order a lift kit, and hunt down a 242 for a swap.
John- Thanks for the response! I'll be more specific so you will understand better my question about the 242. I purchased a '95 XJ sport from a kid whose dad spent thousands of dollars on it. He got tired of it and decided to buy something else and sold it to me for $5k. It has a 9" Currie rear with 35 spline alloys, 456 Superior gears, disc brakes and a full spool, a HPD30 front with 30 spline alloys, 456 gears, disc brakes and a Detroit locker. It has SYE's and Wood's Drivelines, Rebuilt A/T with shift kit and a swapped in 242 trans. It has an extreme long arm RE with 8" coil front and RE 5.5 springpack with 2" blocks and Revolver shackles in the rear. When I drove it home after purchasing it I had to drive in a snow storm for nearly 200 miles. The original shifter and 231 legend was retained and the guy slotted out the console for the longer travel for the 242. When I entered the storm I shifted into 4 HI and needless to say I had an interesting trip home trying to maintain control of the unit. I have never had a vehicle with full time operation and without the 242 legend I don't know what position the TC really is in when shifted. When pulled all the way back it is in 4LO and will crawl over anything short of rolling over with this drivetrain package. I guess I need to find the 242 console legend or make one for it so that the shifting is a no-brainer. I use the Jeep on and off-road and it is a street legal daily driver. I just didn't know anything about the advantage of the full-time operation for this vehicle. Like I said above, I tried to find a 2Lo kit for it and the seller told me it wasn't available for the 242. Thanks for any info! Doof

Back