• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking sound while turning in reverse...

Magickman

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, my first post here.

Here's the back story and details:

I'm in the middle of a build-up on my '98 XJ, and I'm just about complete. However, I've installed an RE Hack&Tap SYE and am awaiting the delivery of my new custom rear DS. The OE rear DS has been pulled, and in the meantime I've been driving around in front wheel drive by putting the transfer case in part time 4HI (been doing this for about a week now). According to my research, this should be safe to do provided I have no lockers in the front(which I don't). This is an np231 TC.

So now I'm hearing a clicking noise when I move in reverse and turn the steering wheel. I believe it's only when I turn to the right (have to verify this). Also, I get a sort of "clunk" when I move from drive to reverse, and vice-versa.

Have I toasted my front diff???

TIA for any input!

-MM

If its indeed when turning,I would look at the axle shaft U-joints.

You probably damaged your u-joints. They are the weak link there. You know when you turn really hard in front wheel drive on an XJ (your method has been done before, I did it when i blew out my rear shaft leaving the mall while attempting to show off to some hotties :] ) and your front end kinda pops and bumps? This is causing stress on the componets up there, it is fine to do this every once in a while so long as you try to make as little sharp turns as possible, but sounds to me like you damaged the u-joints. Id guess you have another 1000 miles before they start bangin REALLY bad, should be fine for a while so no rush, but do NOT wheel it in this state, as that will be the straw that breaks the metaphoric back of your u-joints :)

cherokee chuck said:
:lecture: I just gave the same answer to the same question on OEM. It's bad form to post the same question on two forums.
Didn't know I did. When I tried to post my message, the forum told me I was no longer logged in, so I wrote my post again, but thought it might actually be better in this forum.

My apologies. But, as I said, I had no idea my previous post actually went up in the other forum.

FWIW, I'm a newbie to this forum, but not to forums in general.

Cheers!

emr1101 said:
You probably damaged your u-joints. They are the weak link there. You know when you turn really hard in front wheel drive on an XJ (your method has been done before, I did it when i blew out my rear shaft leaving the mall while attempting to show off to some hotties :] ) and your front end kinda pops and bumps? This is causing stress on the componets up there, it is fine to do this every once in a while so long as you try to make as little sharp turns as possible, but sounds to me like you damaged the u-joints. Id guess you have another 1000 miles before they start bangin REALLY bad, should be fine for a while so no rush, but do NOT wheel it in this state, as that will be the straw that breaks the metaphoric back of your u-joints :)

That's good news. U-Joints are cheap!

And, def. will not wheel in this state!

So what's the best way to check the U-joints?

Thanks.

Magickman said:
That's good news. U-Joints are cheap!

And, def. will not wheel in this state!

So what's the best way to check the U-joints?

Thanks.
What do you mean? Washington is a great state to wheel in! [Apologies to all for a really bad joke] And in answer to your question jack up the front end & look for slop in the u-joints. If slop isn't obvious pry on the joint with a tire iron or a big screwdriver.:anon:

Back