• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Classic front bumper trim removal

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone taken the front bumper side trim and air dam trim off of a Cherokee Classic? I have a 98 Classic and was going to take it off as I took the fender flares off, but I looked at it and it appears that the trim is riveted to the steel bumper. I didn't want to tear it off as I plan on re-installing it later. And I wanted to use drilling them out as a last resort. Any ideas???

I think they're called bumper end caps.

Remove the fender liner, then there will be 4 bolts (actually 2 screws, and 2 bolts/nuts if you want to get technical). Then there's a slot on the top of the end cap and a rivet that the end cap can be slid out of. You can get the end cap back on the rivet but it's tough. I ended up just cutting the plastic off, my end cap was already messed up a little.

Just remove the fender liner, it's super simple after that.

Keep in mind that those things, especially the air dam, cut wind resistance and so add significant miles-per-gallon on the highway. Off road and in the city it makes little difference, so you can easily dispense with it if you don't drive on the highway much.

92xjsp said:
Keep in mind that those things, especially the air dam, cut wind resistance and so add significant miles-per-gallon on the highway. Off road and in the city it makes little difference, so you can easily dispense with it if you don't drive on the highway much.
I would SO love to see supporting documentation of this claim.

The Jeep Cherokee is a box with the aerodynamics of...a box.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back