• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling Transfer Case

Fast95Neon

NAXJA Forum User
OMG the top bolts are soooo hard to take off....i lift up the trans and truck when trying to turn the wrench

i was told to use a stubby wrench, because thats all that fits in there....and its true!

anyone have experiance with this?

am i going to drop the trans?

91 4.0 242 and its a automatic

9/16 stubby wrench is what you need, and no its not all the easy but doable. You will have an easier time accessing these bolts if you can lower down the tranny

I just had the same issue recently when I did my SYE. I supported the trans and removed the cross member. I then lowered the jack and had plenty of room once lowered but still a pain non the less.
mine an 89 4.0 231 auto.

Get a starter wrench.

this is gonna sound stupid, but make sure you're turning them the correct way-- I seem to remember pulling DOWN on the wrench from the passenger side, which would make it tough to "lift" the vehicle while turning the wrench.
It's easy to get "discombobulated" when you're upsidedown and backward....
just a thought!:peace:

I used a couple extensions and a swivel 9/16th to get the top ones off.

The ratchet ends up being about where the front of the tranny is lol.

i was able to use a wrrench that i cut off because i did not have a stubbly wrench, and hit it wiht a hammer to get it broke loose, it is doable just have some patience good luck

Retighten the other bolts around the ring, and work on loosening the top first. If you have loosened the others first, you can bind up the top one and make it much more difficult to remove.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back