• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 removal question

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question....when you remove the tranny do you have to support the engine? im pretty sure it says to in the haynes but wasnt sure that made any sense. Also any tips for getting those 2 E12 torx off? I got some long extension and will pick up the socket tomarrow.

Yes - support the engine since there's only two points of balance now. There's nothing to prevent it flopping forward into your radiator or backward against the firewall.

Removing the E12? Lower the transmission slightly and you can reach them much better. Replace with regular hex-head bolts later.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
Yes - support the engine since there's only two points of balance now. There's nothing to prevent it flopping forward into your radiator or backward against the firewall.

Removing the E12? Lower the transmission slightly and you can reach them much better. Replace with regular hex-head bolts later.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

yeah makes perfect sense now. Also, im changing out the ax15 in my 95 XJ what year ax15's are compatable/bolt right up to my year??

I think 94+ ax15 should work. Im not sure about electrical connections, but you def need the external slave version. I found a 3/8 gear wrench works on the top two bolts, just make sure they are on the head well or they will strip the head. (ghetto way and not highly recommended, but works in a pinch)

Get the rear end of the vehicle up on jackstands, but leave the front on the ground.

Lower the transmission (carefull not to go too far, keep an eye on fan etc) until level, and slide it straight back. Doing it with the vehicle level and the transmission/engine tilted isn't impossible, but it's not much fun either, especially for putting it back.

I put a jack stand with a board a few inches under the engine, the floor jack under and tight to the x-member. Then remove two bolts and then two nuts on the x-member and slowly lower the jack until mech fan(not anymore on mine) comes close to radiator. I then use a ratchet with 2 long extensions and the e12 to get to the bolts via the shifter hole in the floor. Oh yeah, leave 2-4 of the side and bottom bolts on the tranny tight until you get those e12s out so that all of the pressure won't be on just them.

got it out alot easier than i thought it was gonna be, just wiggled right off. Only question now is does a '92 AX15 have the same spline count etc. as a 95 AX15?...its the only option right now. It seems that '94+ AX15 are interchangeable with each other...this right?

AX-15 Interchange...

1989.5-1990 will have the "small" pilot diameter (.590", IIRC - same as the BA-10.) Will require a pilot bushing change.

1991 (I think) on up have the larger pilot - somewhere around 7/8". Can be swapped into earlier rigs with a pilot bushing swap.

The hydraulics break happened around 1993/1994 (internal slave to external,) and swapping one way or the other requires a full hydraulics swap. Note that (for Peugeot tossers...) the Peugeot hydraulics and friction will work with the AX-15 "internal" version without difficulty.

Spline count? All AX-15 gearboxes are 23-spline output, all Peugeot gearboxes are 21-spline output, and all BA-10 and AX-15 use a 1-1/8"-10 input shaft. Same length as well - so they swap readily.

Note that the "internal" AX-15 can be converted to an "external" AX-15 by swapping the bellhousing, fork, and front bearing retainer. Also note that the AX-15 can also be had from later Dakota pickups, and can be "converted" there as well by swapping the bellhousing and associated parts. The bellhousing for the "external" AX-15 will also work with the NV3550, should you find one (the NV3550 cannot be converted to an "internal" setup - but why would you want to?)

AX-15 Interchange...

1989.5-1990 will have the "small" pilot diameter (.590", IIRC - same as the BA-10.) Will require a pilot bushing change.

1991 (I think) on up have the larger pilot - somewhere around 7/8". Can be swapped into earlier rigs with a pilot bushing swap.

The hydraulics break happened around 1993/1994 (internal slave to external,) and swapping one way or the other requires a full hydraulics swap. Note that (for Peugeot tossers...) the Peugeot hydraulics and friction will work with the AX-15 "internal" version without difficulty.

Spline count? All AX-15 gearboxes are 23-spline output, all Peugeot gearboxes are 21-spline output, and all BA-10 and AX-15 use a 1-1/8"-10 input shaft. Same length as well - so they swap readily.

Note that the "internal" AX-15 can be converted to an "external" AX-15 by swapping the bellhousing, fork, and front bearing retainer. Also note that the AX-15 can also be had from later Dakota pickups, and can be "converted" there as well by swapping the bellhousing and associated parts. The bellhousing for the "external" AX-15 will also work with the NV3550, should you find one (the NV3550 cannot be converted to an "internal" setup - but why would you want to?)

good info, thanks

Back