• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full detroit in a daily driver ???

jallen

NAXJA Forum User
i'm getting ready to do gears and lockers in my xj and have found a really reputible guy to do the work.

when probing him for locker suggestions he said that if it were up to him he would put a full detroit in the rear, but of course he would do whatever i decided i wanted him to do.

my concern with a full detroit is that i have to drive my jeep to work and back on the freeways and around town every day and i'm not really interested it tearing stuff up or causing premature wear.

is anyone running a full detroit in a daily driver ???

i realize that the best option would be a sellectable locker, but i'm not to interested in forking over the extra green. i've thought about an auburn (and read the posts) and i'm not really that interested in changing my diff fluids every 7500 miles.

any suggestions would be helpful. -- thx

i like mine! it works fine! really don't even notice it on the road! (also what axle u using) i have an 8.8 not worring too much about wear and tear should b fine! and the tires don't wear down that bad at all!!

stoney

I ran one in an S-10 pickup that was my daily driver for about 2 years, and didn't like it much at all. I don't mind chirping and stuff, but it would bind around corners and then release all of the sudden causing my rear end to skip a little bit. It was annoying to the point that I haven't put one in my Jeep. I'm saving up the extra to put in an ARB this time. If I was going to do a limited slip, I'd probably go with the True Trac, because I don't like the idea of wearing it out in just a couple years and having to replace it again.

the other idea that i'm really playing with would be a powertrax no-slip in both the front and the rear. i've heard NO complaints and read very very few.

I have the No-Slip in my rear, can't notice a thing! (Except it's working). Only way I can notice it is if I suddenly go off the throttle in a sharp turn when the auto is in lock-up, that feels kind of "exciting" :) D35, 31" MT/R

Get a Detroit or you will regret it. They are tough as nails and they work beautifully-----very well proven. I daily drive mine and I absoultely love it. I have went on several 100+mile trips with it too and I love it. Honestly it just has to be set up right or it will make noise. Mine once every month or two will pop real bad and scare the living crap out of me but it doesn't throw you or anything just makes noise. It is much quieter than my friends ez locker and it is much more predictable when turning a corner as mine doesn't chirp around corners anymore now that I am so use to it. I wouldn't have it any other way========Kyle

Jeff, you gotta wheel your jeep in order to properly use a locker.
Mall crawling dont count:D j/k

Mike

A crowned road in slippery conditions, I’m told is challenging w/a full locker. To me this is a DD no no if you want to get to work in the winter. Prob not a real concern in your neck of the woods but if this is a jack of all trail rig you may want options on the trail too

The only dent in my XJ was caused by my locker,it was a dry,off camber,and foward tapering!I had been over this same ledge many times(before the locker),anyway it went forward about 2" and sideways about 6".Thats why Im putting an ARB in the rear also!

FWIW I have been running in my DD a fulll detroit in the rear (XJ D44) and a lock-right in the front (HP D30). Drive it on the road like its locked.....it doesn't "chirp" unless I want it to. Its "popped" maybe half a dozen times. Im in VA (mild winters) and this upcoming will be my first locked up. To be honest I'm not really worried about it at all. Drive smart!

P

I have a full spool in my XJ which is a daily driver.30 miles a day to and from work.No problems,the tires do chirp on tight turns.I use BFG A-T's for my daily tires so I dont wear out the Swampers so fast.

Back