• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt/Screw Size Request...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
HELP US HELP YOU!

A question I've been seeing fairly often here is "What size bolts/nuts do I need to stick xxx back on my truck?"

Sometimes this question can be answered - but mostly not. I'd like to see about correcting this, and making answers come a little more often than not.

To that end, I'd like to start accumulating bolt/nut/screw sizes for nearly everything, but if I don't have a vehicle, I can't figure out what sizes are needed for what jobs. Therefore, if you're so inclined, please do the following when you tear into something...

1) Measure as many of the bolts/nuts as possible. Eyeballing it and saying "it looks like" won't do - a direct measurement is required. Even if the only measurement you have for thread pitches is a nut that you've marked, it's still a direct measurement. I've been estimating bolt sizes and pitches for a number of years, and I still get them wrong...

2) Write down the following:
What year your rig is
What the bolt/nut/screw retains
Applicable drivetrain information (engine, transmission, transfer case, axles)
Any notes that would be important when securing a replacement. Head styles are usually important - a "flat head" may be needed somewhere for operating clearance, and a "button head" may be needed to clear another part that doesn't move (like the RENIX throttle body...)

3) Forward all of that to me at 5-90 AT naxja DOT org - and do please be ready in case I have any questions about your data (for my own clarification.)

I will be compiling all of the data I get into an HTML page on my own site (www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power) and this data will be freely available to all. Also, if would like to have a mirror of the site, all they have to do is tell me how they'd like it formatted, and I'll do another copy to post here as well. Just ask!

5-90

NOTE - This is in "OEM Tech" because we're mainly after OEM fastener size. If you're going to provide a size for an aftermarket modification that does NOT use OEM fasteners, please don't... If the aftermarket kit provides fasteners that are the same size as OEM, then please do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back