• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ glove box light

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I went to a local yard in search of one, and found a few, and noticed they are only in sports. I want to put one in my classic, but it looks like you'd need almost the entire dash support to make it work. Has anyone done this ?

Now that's funny....my friend's 98 Classic has one, but his dad's 98 Sport does not.

My 99 Sport never had a working one, and I don't know if it even has a spot for one...I kept meaning to look, and as soon as I get it back from the body shop I am going to.

My 98SE and both my TJ's SE's have them.

Thats really weird they don't have one in the classic.

Hammered said:
It was 1000$ more to order this factory option.
Wouldn't surprise me. My 99 Sport doesn't have one FWIW.

Mr_Random said:
Holy crap?!?!?! That's insane...

my 86 has one! haha...
Almost if not all 96- had them since they were built into the latch assembly. I think in 97+ XJs there was just a hole for them and only Jeep decided if they wanted to put them in or not.

BIGSLVRXJ said:
Wouldn't surprise me. My 99 Sport doesn't have one FWIW.

Well that doesn't make me feel any better.

My friends dad was talking about there being some sort of "light package"

well all you 98+ guys can feel glad you didnt get the stupid old style overhead map lights. the97 has the same ones as the 80s XJs did.

If left on they come close to a friggin melt down.

I wonder if I can put one of the chrome FSJ overhead lights in my 97. heh

I put a GM rear view mirror with two built in map lights in my 98, got it from a junkyard, $4 if I remember correctly.

UNCC_99XJ said:
Well that doesn't make me feel any better.

My friends dad was talking about there being some sort of "light package"

The Map/Dome Reading lights, vanity lights for the sun visors and glove compartment lights are part of the Light Group option code of "ADA".

My 98 came with the light group, but had the idiot light instrument cluster...

I have the factory build sheet and a Vehicle Information plus summary report for my Jeep... Lists ALL options and vehicle information...

Last edited:
UNCC_99XJ said:
Now that's funny....my friend's 98 Classic has one, but his dad's 98 Sport does not.

My 99 Sport never had a working one, and I don't know if it even has a spot for one...I kept meaning to look, and as soon as I get it back from the body shop I am going to.

My 1998 Classic has a glovebox light. I need to upgrade it to LED! lol

CharlesS said:
The Map/Dome Reading lights, vanity lights for the sun visors and glove compartment lights are part of the Light Group option code of "ADA".

My 98 came with the light group, but had the idiot light instrument cluster...

I have the factory build sheet and a Vehicle Information plus summary report for my Jeep... Lists ALL options and vehicle information...

I've got the build sheet on mine laying around somewhere in the thousands of e-mails on my computer...i'll have to dig around for it sometime.

Back