• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise from locker

manyjeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I had installed a Superior super 44 kit with 4.88 gears and the superior superior super 30 w/ARB up front. The rear locker snaps, pops, kicks the rear and basically concerns me. My previous locker was a powertrac no-slip and had none of these symtoms. Am I having normal reactions from a detroit? My TJ with the detroit never made noise but will bark alot in turns.

many people may overlook this thread because it should be in modified tech...

however, an auto locker will usually make noise when it locks/unlocks due to changing torque. in a turn, it tries to lock, but the tires are tryin to turn at diff speeds, so its popping, if you gave it a heavy right foot, it would stop makin noise and bark tires instead.

i have a lockright that makes lots of noise.

copied from rustys description of a detroit locker: "Driver may hear and feel "backlash" going from drive-to-coast and coast-to-drive, as reversing torque flow resets the components."

-Tim

Back