• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to check codes on a 98

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
My Check Engine light just came and I was wondering what technique too use to check the codes. I dont have an autozone near me and napa and advanced dont have code readers. Is there a way to check the code on a 98 like the earlier models. It has 159,000 and even with the light on it runs perfectly fine.

Try this: Turn the ignition ON, then OFF, ON, OFF,ON. All within about 15 seconds and without cranking. It's known as the "Key Dance" and works with most of the newer Mopar and Jeep Vehicles.

Then your check engine light will flash out the codes (IE: for code 12, Flash, 1-2 Pause, Flash, Flash), or sometimes the digital odometer will display them numerically.

Keep in mind, your's is OBDII and will only display the older two digit (IE: 12) codes. The code displayed could have more than one meaning behind it, which is what you would need the scanner to distinguish.

This does not work Past the year 2K vehicles or on RENIX Jeeps. Those WILL require a scanner to read the ECM memories.

I wont be able to check until weds, but I know that the gasket is starting to go on the manifold, since it was running fine would that be a possible cause.

poorboy_616 said:
....This does not work Past the year 2K vehicles or on RENIX Jeeps. Those WILL require a scanner to read the ECM memories.

This has been hashed over many times... As far as the late model XJ's, the key clicky trick still works on the early build year 97's. On the later build date '97s and up, it won't work. The gauges dance around, and the code you get at the end simply confirms that your gauge cluster is ok....

Go to Autozone, they'll read it for free and give you a printout of what the causes are. I did it just recently with my 98 XJ. And, if they can reset the codes they'll do it to get your check engine light off.

Back