• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluid change ?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So, now that I got the exhaust leak fixed, I am thinking of doing my fluids. I would like to hear some advice for the following:

This is a 89, with a 4.0, Auto, select trac. Just got this thing, and want to start going through it......

1. Transmission fluid change. I have no idea of the history of this vehicle, so I was going to drain the fluid out the drain plug, and refill with the dexII. Then, keep changing it every other oil change. Does that sound like the best approach?

2. Transfer case fluid change, drain, refill with dexII. Anything else?

3. Axle fluid change. Pull off covers, and clean. I was thinking of using redline oil, since I use it in my sports cars, or should I just use standard gear oil?

Thanks so much for your help,
Bob

1. definitely change it not knowing the history. as far as every other oil change though, that sounds a bit excessive to me.

2. that sounds bout right

3.personal preference on the gear oil type. If you got it already it will by no means hurt it. do not forget to check for any visible leaks by the pinion seal.

Do not forget to grease all the zerk (grease fittings) fittings while you are under there

I'd go 'every other' on the transmission fluid change for at least the first several, since you have no idea what condition it's in now. No probs with #2 and 3 either, and definitely don't forget the zerks.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Good idea to keep up with fluid changes. I use synthetic in the t-case and differentials. Not that much more for something that I change every 3 years or so and I believe synthetics to be superior lubricants. Personal preference there.

Your plan sounds good. I use standard gear lube in the diffs. For the tranny, I would change the fluid via the drain plug three times, when the fluid is hot, and drive a few miles between changes. That would give you a better baseline.
Speaking of fluid changes, don't forget the coolant, power steering fluid, and brake fluid. I would flush and replace all three.

Back