• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relay for Ford Taurus fan

Ill start by saying yes, I have searched- 15 pages of results worth. But thats not saying I may have missed something.

I have a Ford Taurus fan that I am wanting to install using a DCC controler (FK-60) to run the low side. I am wanting to install the controler onto a switch via a relay so that I can turn it off if the situation warrents, or manually switch it to high, again if the situation warrents. I have a on-off-on switch with one of those ricer safety covers (prevent inadvertantly switching it off). I have a 40 A relay for the low side. I am having a hard time finding a relay for the high side of things.

I read through many write ups especially go-jeeps. I see he used a Hella relay part # 3061 with 180A peak current and 100A continuous rating. I have tried to find that relay at the local auto parts stores- NAPA, Vauto zone, chucker as well as some online retailers like 4wheel parts, and a couple local off road shops- Desert Fab, and Absolute Offroad Phoenix. All with no luck.

The closest I was able to find was a 60 or 70 amp relay at NAPA or a 70 amp relay on Hella USAs webpage.

My question is for those of you who have done this mod, what relay did you use for the high side and do you know a source online that I could get it from?

TIA
stewie

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1503

It's a 4 prong, but the way I wired it up it worked just fine. The only problem I ran into with the high low thing was when the high side was on the low side acted like an alternator and was back feeding 18-19V. I pulled the wire to engage the high side until I find a diode big enough to handle it. just food for thought.

why are you wiring the DCC controller up to the slower speed?
the controller is designed to control the high speed, pretty sure it even says that (lost my paperwork but I have mine wired hispeed)
the slow speed should be enough to cool the engine if needed, by why spend the money on the controller only to hook it to the slow speed?
Bonus of using it on the high speed is that it doesn't need a large relay, and you can use a normal 30amp (or is it 40amp) relay found in any electronics/parts store. I also have what you are talking about, the DCC controller which can be switched off, and a back up switch hooked up to the slow speed if/when I want to leave it on while on the trail.

I figured that the low side would be sufficient to cool the jeep in most situations. I also wanted to have my back up be more than sufficient to cool the jeep in the event that the controller or anything to do with the low side went belly up.

If I was to have the controller run the high side, I would still need a large enough relay for it to keep it operated off a toggle switch- to kill it or manual over ride etc.

I checked out the texas Industrial Electric page. Nice items. Im still courious what else is out there.

Thanks

stewie said:
If I was to have the controller run the high side, I would still need a large enough relay for it to keep it operated off a toggle switch- to kill it or manual over ride etc.
Thanks
Actually you can kill the controller using a wire on it. The installation directions will tell you which, but I believe its the Yellow Wire which will turn the DCC unit off if you wish.
I think you feed it a live 12vDC and that will shut the piece off. No need for a relay at all, 12vDC going to a switch going to the Yellow Wire... hardly any draw so no need for a relay.
I will have to look at how I had mine wired, but I had the same thing, so I could turn it off to cross water or keep off and leave the slow speed on manual.

Just something to think about.

Go to autozone and get a starter relay for an 89' ford crown vic v8. It's about a 100amp relay, 4 prong. Works like a charm. Been running it for two years, and I use high speed all the time to get my a/c blowing really cold on hot days : )

whitneyj said:
that's a solenoid and they're not meant for continues duty

Depends on the solenoid. The ones I have around are rated for continuous duty (the difference is in the windings - intermittent-duty solenoids tend to overheat, and are thus limited in duty cycle. Ford starter solenoids are down around a 3-5%DC...) But, 100%DC solenoids aren't as common as the Ford solenoid, so a lot of people use the Ford 'noids.

Also, the fan isn't continuously run, it seems to be >100A (can anyone give me a harder number?) and that's a help (for a solenoid designed for 3-5%DC @ 250A...)

beakie said:
Actually you can kill the controller using a wire on it. The installation directions will tell you which, but I believe its the Yellow Wire which will turn the DCC unit off if you wish.
I think you feed it a live 12vDC and that will shut the piece off. No need for a relay at all, 12vDC going to a switch going to the Yellow Wire... hardly any draw so no need for a relay.
I will have to look at how I had mine wired, but I had the same thing, so I could turn it off to cross water or keep off and leave the slow speed on manual.

Just something to think about.

I hadnt thought of that. My mind has been racing lately with all to do before the Fall Fling. Good thing I got you guys to keep me strait!

Thanks beakie for drawing my attention to the blaintantly obvious!

haha, where do you think I got the info to switch mine that way in the first place??

The guy that makes them is helpful, but can take a bit of time getting back to you. I actually took mine out while I moved some things around the engine compartment... and now have misplaced it, but I never had any problems running it to control the highspeed... and a single switched relay for the slow speed if I wanted... less headaches tracking down the special relay/solenoid.

you should have plenty of help from this thread tho, it will go together nicely and you'll be plenty happy with the outcome. its kinda neat hearing it slowly revv up the fan when it get a little warm... or really get it hummin when it's really hot.

Are you getting the 18 volt reading at the battery?

If you high speed relay is a SPDT or get one Then you can feed your low speed relay line from it. Just find the hot terminal when it's normally open. No need for a diode.
But I never had this over voltage problem myself.

Last edited:
I've been running a taurus fan in my XJ for about a year now. I used a basic 30a relay for the low side and 40a for the high side - I think they are bosch relays that I just had kicking around. they should not be too hard to find at a FLAPS. 40 amps is plenty to handle the draw on the high speed of the taurus fan.

stewie said:
Ill start by saying yes, I have searched- 15 pages of results worth. But thats not saying I may have missed something.

I have a Ford Taurus fan that I am wanting to install using a DCC controler (FK-60) to run the low side. I am wanting to install the controler onto a switch via a relay so that I can turn it off if the situation warrents, or manually switch it to high, again if the situation warrents. I have a on-off-on switch with one of those ricer safety covers (prevent inadvertantly switching it off). I have a 40 A relay for the low side. I am having a hard time finding a relay for the high side of things.

I read through many write ups especially go-jeeps. I see he used a Hella relay part # 3061 with 180A peak current and 100A continuous rating. I have tried to find that relay at the local auto parts stores- NAPA, Vauto zone, chucker as well as some online retailers like 4wheel parts, and a couple local off road shops- Desert Fab, and Absolute Offroad Phoenix. All with no luck.

The closest I was able to find was a 60 or 70 amp relay at NAPA or a 70 amp relay on Hella USAs webpage.

My question is for those of you who have done this mod, what relay did you use for the high side and do you know a source online that I could get it from?

TIA
stewie

Did you also notice in the same paragraph that I mention two others for the US with even a 85 amp?
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/ARCR012/ALLRELAYS/Relay,+12V,+85+Amp
http://12voltguy.com/web/index.php?...category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=43

stewie said:

TIA
stewie

I've got them listed as well - 85A and 200A solenoids. Not to pimp myself out or anything, but I'm always looking to see what other goodies I should carry for projects and the like - and this sounds like something else where I might come in handy...

Normally the small terminals are for the trip wires ( one negative and one from the other fan or switch and does not matter which way around ) and the large ones are the battery power in and out to the new fan high speed side. Again either terminal is fine.

It's wired differently where it can utilize a 30 or 40 amp relay. Not sure what that difference is, I believe it's in the ECM though

Back