• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xmember for long arm mounts

dfete91

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on upgrading to a long arm setup and I was wondering if Rusty's 3/16 stock looking xmember would be strong enough to weld on some lca mounts. I plan on reinforcing the unibody with 3x3 angle. Any suggestions?

1) NO, I would not trust the Rusty's HD crossmember for suspension mounts.
2) Honestly, 3x3x3/16" angle is A LOT of work to get it to fit the way you want it, trust me... I know. Check out the vendors section, and get some stiffeners. Well worth the cash for the time saved.

RCman said:
1) NO, I would not trust the Rusty's HD crossmember for suspension mounts.
2) Honestly, 3x3x3/16" angle is A LOT of work to get it to fit the way you want it, trust me... I know. Check out the vendors section, and get some stiffeners. Well worth the cash for the time saved.
x2 No on Rustys and get your self some TnT Stiffeners, they are worth it in the end.

swbooking said:
x2 No on Rustys and get your self some TnT Stiffeners, they are worth it in the end.
Not going to start a vendor war, but look into H.D. Offroad Engineering stiffeners. They are cheaper, are in stock and shipped out quick, and already have rosette holes drilled.

Or just do the 3x3x3/16" angle. Just plan on being in the shop for hours with a torch, grinder, and creeper depending on how far you go with the stiffeners. (Something I personally love, but others might not).

Edit: JNickel101 beat me to the first part. ;)

Last edited:
Didnt even know they made stiffeners...

Yeah since they support us id definitely support them.

Ive never seen the H.D. Offroad Engineering stiffeners before but they look really good. Having the rossette holes already there is a very nice feature. I have the tnt stiffners and they worked well for me, my only complaint with them is that they are a little wide on the lower portion of the stiffner. This made them hang off the edge of the frame slightly and very difficult to weld.

Oh and as far as the crossmember goes its not the crossmember itself thats the problem its the way its mounted. Frame stiffners do nothing about increasing the mouting points of a stock replacement member.

Ty2003K said:
Ive never seen the H.D. Offroad Engineering stiffeners before but they look really good. Having the rossette holes already there is a very nice feature. I have the tnt stiffners and they worked well for me, my only complaint with them is that they are a little wide on the lower portion of the stiffner. This made them hang off the edge of the frame slightly and very difficult to weld.

Maybe this is something they fixed :dunno:... I'm finishing mine up and didn't have that issue. If I had to do it again, I would definitately go w/ the HD Off Road stiffeners though because of the rosettes and because they're a little thinner/lighter.
Billy

I like those stiffeners, but you think they are strong enough to weld lca mounts? i've seen several people who just weld lca mounts to the unibody itself. Seems like a bad idea, but they get away with it. I think the Terraflex kit works like this. I'm determined to upgrade to a long or mid arm setup in the future, so i'm trying to get a plan together. Still don't know if i want 3 or 4 link, radias arm or what. oh yeah and I'm poor.

Back