• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats your assesment of this filter.

Jagged73

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently put a new K&N air filter in my cherokee that I just purchased and when I pulled out the old filter it looked like it hadnt been changed in years.

There also seemed to be a alot of oil on the filter. Not like it was dripping off and soaking in it but more than I would have expected to see in a normal oil change. I am guessing all of it came from the tube that runs from the top of the valve cover to the cover over the air filter.

What do you think is going on. I am guessing at worst just an excessive amount of blow by, but I am going to lean heavily at the its normal blow by and the filter soaked it all up over years and years. I am sure the answer will come soon enough when I check the filter in late october.

Pics

2839563401_960fb37442_b.jpg

Giganto version so you can get a really close up look at the filter.

2840388830_063d9803d1_o.jpg

I would guess you're right on target. Looks like it's quite old and filthy, a Fram, has experienced some blowbly, and was well due for a replacing. I bet with how dirty it was you may notice some improvements in driveablility. Do you have a top shot of it? If so, you can often times tell if there was blowby because it will be in the area right below where the CCV line comes in.

you might not have to "pre-oil " your k$n!!:wierd:

Thats ok,all that dirt will be "in" your engine now with a K&N filter!

RCP Phx said:
x2, a K&N breathes better than a paper filter, but so does an engine without a filter.

RCP Phx said:

I have a 01 dodge that has over 100thou, K&N filter from day 1.. My ford has over 300 thou with a K&N.. Guess i got lucky! Do the service on your K&N filter, use the oil that is for youre filter an it will last forever..
Thats my 2 cents

scottmcneal said:
I have a 01 dodge that has over 100thou, K&N filter from day 1.. My ford has over 300 thou with a K&N.. Guess i got lucky! Do the service on your K&N filter, use the oil that is for youre filter an it will last forever..
Thats my 2 cents

x2

I put over 110k miles on my last XJ with a K&N drop-in since day one. That rig rolled and was totaled...and the engine went into a YJ a year ago. Still working great. :)

lol, K&N haters

My assesment is........:scared:....that thing is hosed dude. I'd say you have some blowby issues but if it hasn't been changed in years I can see it being that way. You must have picked up like 58 mpg from getting that nasty thing out of there :roll:.

My oil stays cleaner much longer since I pulled the K&N flat filter out and replaced it with either fram or purolators paper filters. In my opinion the K&N let too much small stuff by. I noticed NO improvements with either K&N or paper, no change whatsoever except for noise, the K&N was noisier. I ran the K&N for 5 years too.

RichP said:
My oil stays cleaner much longer since I pulled the K&N flat filter out and replaced it with either fram or purolators paper filters. In my opinion the K&N let too much small stuff by. I noticed NO improvements with either K&N or paper, no change whatsoever except for noise, the K&N was noisier. I ran the K&N for 5 years too.

So you didn't notice a "5-10% increase in MPG" or whatever they say you will get.

ECKSJAY said:
x2

I put over 110k miles on my last XJ with a K&N drop-in since day one. That rig rolled and was totaled...and the engine went into a YJ a year ago. Still working great. :)

lol, K&N haters

Had to change the top end on 2 of my bikes in one season because of the fine silt that got beyond my wonderful K&N filters and pre filters. While they're probably fine for street use, use in terrain where the engine will be sucking in large amounts of dust will kill an engine on a K&N. You can LOL all you want at a hater, but you still won't find a K&N on my junk ever again. A 5 dollar paper filter will protect against what a 50 dollar K&N will let waltz through. And I won't have to rebuild my damn engines every season.

BruceB83 said:
So you didn't notice a "5-10% increase in MPG" or whatever they say you will get.

Nope, but what I did notice, purely by accident too, was the black fine almost sand like particles that collected inside that big air hose between the air box and the throttle body. I had pulled that off and stuck my arm in it, I had something in my hand so did the lazy thing, when I pulled my arm out it was like holy crap whats this stuff. Cleaned the tube out and put it back on, in went a paper element for a few days till I cleaned and reoiled the K&N, the tube was still clean, K&N went back in and next oil change I pulled it for another cleaning, stuck my hand in the tube and more black stuff. The K&N got put away.
I have one and it's yours for shipping if you want it, it's a flat one.
I've run K&N on other stuff, my 82 Yamaha XS1100LH, initially I ran 4 K&N cone filters on the mikuni's then went to a K&N back in the stock airbox under the seat, thats what it got sold with.

dude that fram is junk!!! but then so was mine when i yanked it.
havent put another filter in since then.

just over the week-end i got 266 miles on 3/4 tank of gas with a packed xj. on the way home i had just about 175 on a quarter tank when i filled her back up.
the old girl is sittin at 249,959 miles now. :D and still running strong (but she does need new springs, she sagging a bit more than i'd like).

cracked-butt said:
dude that fram is junk!!! but then so was mine when i yanked it.
havent put another filter in since then.

just over the week-end i got 266 miles on 3/4 tank of gas with a packed xj. on the way home i had just about 175 on a quarter tank when i filled her back up.
the old girl is sittin at 249,959 miles now. :D and still running strong (but she does need new springs, she sagging a bit more than i'd like).

The acorns the squirrels leave in the air box probably help mileage :D :D :D

I had a similar K&N experience with a dirtbike. Topend was gone after a fresh rebuild after a year. Same with my MJ, theres fine dust like you find on your tv coating the inside of the intake tube. I don't run them anymore and I never noticed a improvement in anything but noise.

Back