• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a ticking from exhaust..

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
system on this "new" 89 xj. Sounds like a exhaust leak, should I just take it to a muffler shop or start looking at from home. I does not sound like it is coming from the header, but somewhere under the jeep.

Any thoughts before I head down to the muffler shop?

Just starting to sort out this thing!!!
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Have them do a full inspection from header back. You'd be suprised at where a leak can come from and where it sounds like it's coming from.

My 87 Manifold is cracked at collecter, but it sounds like it's coming from the cat....

Cracked exhaust manifold is very common. I never thought it was anywhere but in the front though. It could be where it cracked on mine. It should be pretty easy to find though.

jeep_exhaust_manifold_crack.jpg

Does it sound like a tractor for the first minute after you start it up?

No, it sounds like a exhaust leak near the middle of the car. I took it to Midas, and $120 later, a new muffler and the sound is gone!!! GLAD, I don't have to pull the header!!

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!

Enjoy
Bob

cherokee4fun said:
No, it sounds like a exhaust leak near the middle of the car. I took it to Midas, and $120 later, a new muffler and the sound is gone!!! GLAD, I don't have to pull the header!!

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!

Enjoy
Bob

You REALLY didn't want to replace that exhaust manifold, trust me. :cry:

Back