• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you do with your new (used) axles?

Puddin99

NAXJA Forum User
I have acquired a new set of axles with different gears (8.25 & D30). They should be a direct bolt in replacment. Would you change all of the axle and pinion seals and ujoints? Can this be done off the vehicle? Or wait until something leaks after installing?

Thanks,

Ken
94 Sport 5spd 6I

Lots of variables there. How old are the axles, what condition are they in, can you afford to rebuild them, do you need to put them in quickly to get the vehicle going again?

razdrvr said:
Lots of variables there. How old are the axles, what condition are they in, can you afford to rebuild them, do you need to put them in quickly to get the vehicle going again?

X2, also I would replace the ball joints, UCA bushings and uni-bearings while the axles is out of the jeep and the axles are out of the tube getting new axle u-joints and seals.

Since I do my own gear set-ups I would re-gear at this time since it is much easier out of the Jeep to do this as well.

1. pressure wash them (it makes everything easier)

2. pull covers and triple check ratios (pinion teeth divided into ring gear teeth)

3. asses the condition of every replaceable part (see above)

4. err on the side of replacement (it really sux to have to crawl under and change something you were just looking at in the garage)

5. install and fill

6. have it aligned

don't overlook the ancillary parts you will be removing to change it:
brakes, shocks, control arms/ bushings, tie rod ends/ drag link, steering stabilizer, bump stops, etc.

any thoughts to welding on lower control arm skids while the fronts off, maybe trussing one or both too.
I am waiting on a newer D30 and 8.8 and I am in the same boat. I am going to price out some square stock to truss them both up, not sure if it will help too much, but a lot easier while they are out.

The gears look ok to ME, but I am very far from an expert. They were off when I purchased them. I have good axles at the moment so I'm in no hurry. I have a 5spd with 307's in them. The new axles have 3.55 - the biggest I want to upgrade. I'm getting some 30" tires with them. This will just have a small lift as it will be 90% daily driver.

Any way I can see if the ball joints are good while their unmounted? I just want to see how much work I can easily do to them while they are laying on the floor before putting them on.

Of course my pressure washer broke last month. Still in the process of looking for a new one.

I'll double check the ratios - good idea. That would be very bad if they are different.

Thanks,

Back