• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant leak............

sprngfldxj

NAXJA Forum User
92 4.0 AW4
I started the XJ two days ago and had a fast drip from under the vehicle at the front of the engine. Ii followed it to the Oil pan at the front of the engine.
There is no coolant coming down the hoses or from the radiator. Rad is new and hoses are new. It is not following the trans lines either.
I cant see any flow from the Thermostat housing, and I cant see any coolant flowing fromt the pump.
Can you help me fellas?
I am stumped?
Also,
Can a 4.0 have Timing Chain Slap? How do you know when the chain is getting ready for a change?

Theres only so many places it can leak from...

They do make a product that you can pour into your coolant and let it circulate and it will glow when you shine a light on it, letting you find the leak. (It works something like that)

Edit: Heres some you can buy: Coolant Leak Detectors

As far as the Slap, i havent heard of it... My Renix has 210K on it and it hasent needed to have the chain swapped.

HTH.

If you have the floresent coolent, get a black light from wal-mart and one night start shining it around.

Check the fittings that are sticking out of the rad. I had the same problem. Turned out to be a pinhole leak at one of those fittings on the driver's side. They looked to be soldered in. Lil dab of JB Weld fixed her right up.

Look at the hose that goes from the heater core into the pump. Just went through this on my friend's 98...would leak sometimes, and sometimes not....more so if the heat was on (makes sense), all that needed to be done was to tighten the fitting right there at the pump.

I checked several things and I have found that I have been running a 13lb Cap. When I relieved the pressure on the cap , I found that the leak has stopped.
Maybe wrong cap pressure? I did purchase a 16lb cap today and will see what happens.
I did replace the radiator a couple of months ago and this leak has just showed up.

Back