• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question on gettin more lift in the rear

xjrider95

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if anyone here is running a rear leaf pack with two AALs?

i have a 95 with a short AAL and and a longer shackle for a total of about 4.5-5" of lift. is running two AALs a bad idea?

-Garrison-

Well, it wouldn't quite be like running a bastard pack. In a bastard pack you are adding "standard" leaves to the XJ main leaf. AALs are much thicker, and don't have much flex. AALs ride stiff, stacking AALs would ride VERY stiff!

In general, an AAL is one leaf designed to force the pack to provide the extra arch needed to lift so many inches. With a bastard pack, you add several thinner leaves that were built with a greater arch than an XJ pack to achieve the same results. The only leaf that is being forced to have extra arch is the main leaf vs. the whole pack. Since you are still using actual leaf springs, the ride, although stiffer than stock, will ride much better than an AAL (assumung your shackle angles are good!).

With that said, you could add a long AAL and still be "safe", but the ride and flex will suffer, and there are much better ways to go. How much lift are you looking for?

Honestly, if you are going for 35s, you're already needing to spend money on axles and gears. You may as well save up for a good 4.5" pack and use your shackle for around 5.5"... or you could do something custom like I did http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=949492.

IMO, AAL money is better spent buying junkyard spring packs.

I'm not big on the idea of two aals but the Full Traction 3.5" kit comes with 2 aals, a long and a short so at least one company thinks it's ok. I'm 2X on the wrecking yard spring packs.

tigerShark said:
flame me if you want.

BLOCKS + TRACTION BAR.

Fixed it for you.

Throw in another XJ main for ~3/4"

im limited when it comes to tools so im not sure about fabbing the relocation brackets although i like that setup. i have hand tools and an angle grinder(which is my favorite "tool") :cheers:

i like the xj main leaf idea

Buy the relocation brackets from a vendor on here they are a good price and seem to be a good product. I think its Brianho that sells them and I will be jumping on their frame stiffeners soon. the brackets are said to give about an inch of lift. Combine that with a 1 inch STEEL block and you should be plent high

tigerShark said:
flame me if you want.

BLOCKS.
Let me get this strait.

The OP has (I assume) stock packs, a shorty AAL, and shackles. You think that combination along with a block is a good idea? :wierd:

Save up for a good aftermarket pack.

i like the relocation brackets but i dont have much $$ and a longer AAL from another xj sounds good and cheep and ive already decided that im never gonna run blocks due to their bad rep

I just took out may old AAL/bastard pack after 3+ years, 2 trips to Moab, and lots of miles hauling 300+ lbs of parts and tools.

I had a RE full length 2.5 AAL and an extra Cherokee leaf all in my stock leaf pack and I got 3.25 inches from the two. It rode nicely (slightly firm), flexed well on the trails, and handled the extra weight without dragging the rear bumper. It did not sag at all, ever.

AAL and bastard pack are the same to me. One of the locals used a full S-10 Blazer spring pack on his original Cherokee main leaf and got a little over 4 inches of lift. This pack also does pretty good. It is a little stiff but not that bad and it was only $22 for the donor springs.

I would never use blocks because all 3 of the local XJ's I have seen with block ended up with S shaped leaf springs from axle wrap or broken leaves. Short AAL put too much stress on the small leaves and should be avoided.

Lots of people will tell you what they think to be true, or read someplace once. I only write about what I have seen in person on a local Cherokee that I 4x4 with or installed on my Cherokee myself.

Tim_MN said:
I just took out may old AAL/bastard pack after 3+ years, 2 trips to Moab, and lots of miles hauling 300+ lbs of parts and tools.

I had a RE full length 2.5 AAL and an extra Cherokee leaf all in my stock leaf pack and I got 3.25 inches from the two. It rode nicely (slightly firm), flexed well on the trails, and handled the extra weight without dragging the rear bumper. It did not sag at all, ever.

AAL and bastard pack are the same to me. One of the locals used a full S-10 Blazer spring pack on his original Cherokee main leaf and got a little over 4 inches of lift. This pack also does pretty good. It is a little stiff but not that bad and it was only $22 for the donor springs.

I would never use blocks because all 3 of the local XJ's I have seen with block ended up with S shaped leaf springs from axle wrap or broken leaves. Short AAL put too much stress on the small leaves and should be avoided.

What you are talking about here is a little different than using two AALs. Your "2nd AAL" is of the same rate as the rest of the pack, so it will perform more like a stock pack with a good AAL. By good AAL, I am refering to the full length version, for the reason you mentioned. In general, short AALs also ride stiffer and sag faster than the long ones.
Tim_MN said:
Lots of people will tell you what they think to be true, or read someplace once. I only write about what I have seen in person on a local Cherokee that I 4x4 with or installed on my Cherokee myself.
Hope you aren't directing this to me there buddy? But in general, I couldn't agree more!

This is why short AALs are bad. Adding more will only make this worse. I fixed by doubling up on the mains, so far so good.
P1020139.jpg

98xjsport, my leaf pack looks a lot like that and thats why im looking into a long AAL or an xj main leaf. its also cheaper than some other methods.
i do like the flex right now though:roll:

Back