• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ problem. axle/transfercase

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
vehicle: 94 zj 5.2 /249/d30/d35

Problem: Vehicle rolls in park(sometimes), front driveshaft spins inside carrier while brakes are applied. Front carrier makes Metal grinding noises.

Possible issue: Bad Ring and pinion and/or Bad transfercase..

Your thoughts? :-|

There have been two cases of it actually staying stopped on a hill in park. this problem occured today.

A bad ring in pinion would be pretty evident with the 249. Power is sent to both the front and rear at one time or another so when you were driving you'd hear something. Sounds like a transmission problem to me.

You do hear bad noises while driving, its very apparent something is wrong while the vehicle is in motion.

a VW mechanic told me it looks to be the passenger side CV joint,
the drivers side has a boot, the passengers side is missing, the noise is coming from the front passenger side.

replace that CV and see if it goes away. CV's need to be replaced when the boot rips because the joint gets contaminated and soon thereafter kicks the bucket.

what i dont understand is, my cherokee does not have boots, im just confused. what is a set of dana 30 CVs going to cost me? i gotta call around tomorrow

You should be able to buy 297 u-joint type axles new for $150/$200 each, depending on whether or not you have ABS, Scrap the CV axles. Check with the wrecking yards if you are ok with used parts, usually $50/$75 ea.

"Scrap the CV axles" That would be nice! Anyway i could use the axles out of my 89 xj D30?

I have the same problem with my 1993 zj 5.2 limited. I don't know what transfercase cause I really don't care about it. I never did like the ZJ......I'm an XJ guy.

Andhow, my parkingbrake is loose and doesn't really grip well, just kinda slows it. If I park on anything remotely not flat, then it rolls into whatever is closest.

Dad claims it's a broken transmission "Paw" that locks the tranny. I did remove the driveshaft in the front and then noticed the roll, but I would really doubt that would be the deciding factor in this problem.

If you figure it out, let me know.

And if I can swap the shafts from my 1989 parts XJ, then that'd be clutch.

Sorry for the hijack.

--Alex

the axle shaft are swappable, but is better if you swap in the whole xj D30, expecially if it's an HP.
I've seen a lot of zj with problems on the front carrier usually the bearing of the pinion going bad (grinding noise) then go the ring & pinion.
The ZJ d30 lp isn't the same model of xj d30 lp, it has difference in pinion housing and the pinion itself is longer; in fact U can't install a r&p that come from an xj. My opinion is that there are lubrification problems at pinion bearings.
If zj roll in park (with tranny locked, without hand brake), the internal visco coupler is bad, better if u change the 249 with a 242 or 231; that are bolt on but u have to swap the input shaft from the 249, u can do that if donor and receiver are the same version, both pre 96 or both newer. Note that also with a new VC and tranny in P u don't have a 100% locked system, on pre 96 249 the VC never lock at 100% even in low, on post 96 it's locked only in low gear.

Last edited:
Back