• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil politics war and money

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Politicians corrupt? Nah.. can't be.

Bring the zombies.

Last time I checked, energy isn't Socialized....so you're going to blame the Federal governtment for high energy prices?

I'll admit, I read about 15 lines of this article, but I could see where it was going...

Just another tidbit....I think its funny when people call foul when a political leader picks someone they know vs a complete stranger, to head up or assist with something. Cracks me up. So you're telling me that, for instance, when you need a babysitter, you're going to go with a complete stranger, who might be qualified, over someone you know, who also is qualified, just to be "fair" and so that someone doesn't cry favoritism?

There we go again....we invaded Iraq for oil....

#1, we didnt
#2, so what if that actually was a reason? I wouldnt feel bad if we rolled into Hugo Chavez's back yard and took him out of power. He wants to be a jackass and support terrorist-type organizations, he deserves to have his ass kicked.

Until we're allowed to use our own oil reserves, much of what we do will be due to oil stability. If we only had to worry about our own supplies, then we could say "f*ck you" to the rest of the world.

Last edited:
JohnJohn said:
They'll give anyone a URL these days.

http://www.yuricareport.com/ Check out the other topics they write about.

HAHAHA!!!

What a bunch of douchebags :rattle: :peace:

Power and corruption? I guess it depends on what you read. I remember an old philosophy proff. I had in college, before class he would hand out fliers with those types of BS web sites. He would encurage us to read them.

He's the same guy that spouted off the roses and tanks arguments and droped me a letter grade because I wouldn't answer his essay questions the way he wanted me to lol. All he ever talked about was "his" political views. It was nice to see how many students with a brain would stand up to him though. It made for an entertaining class and I never learned a damn thing.

JNickel101 said:
There we go again....we invaded Iraq for oil....

#1, we didnt
#2, so what if that actually was a reason? I wouldnt feel bad if we rolled into Hugo Chavez's back yard and took him out of power. He wants to be a jackass and support terrorist-type organizations, he deserves to have his ass kicked.

I'll be honest I think one of the underlying reasons we went in was oil. And honestly its only going to get worse, regardless of who is in office.

Yes we need to get better with renewable sources, but right now and for good deal into the future the world is going to run on oil. Does anyone honestly believe that when the worlds oil supplies actually start to get low that China, Russia won't start moving on smaller countries in their regions that have oil supplies? What about us looking at the big supplies that are in Mexico and Canada.

Oil makes the world go round. Is that the way it should be, no, but it is the way it is. Deal with it.

If we went to Iraq for oil Mike, it would be for fuel not the cheap chineese plastic crap you could by at wal-mart.

God they almost make the Oregonian look honest!

From the article...

Enron executives contributed more than $2 million to George W. Bush’s political campaigns since 1999, earning Lay an open door to the governor’s office. Lay was also Bush’s number one choice for Treasury Secretary. A study authorized by Rep. Henry Waxman reveals that Enron had 112 known contacts with the Bush administration in 2001.

I wonder how many contacts Enron had with Democratic Senators and Congressmen?

Question??? If America had to fight another war, I mean something serious. Would they have enough oil to do it with???
Oil is a strategic resource and will remain so for the foreseeable future. What would you think of a government who let the US get into a position where the means (resources) to fight a war weren't secured???
An axiom as old as war, those who can destroy (stop) a resource, control that resource.
Right or wrong the US now controls a serious percentage of the worlds oil. At some point, right or wrong becomes irrelevant. You either have the means and resources or you don't.

fscrig75 said:
I'll be honest I think one of the underlying reasons we went in was oil. And honestly its only going to get worse, regardless of who is in office.

Yes we need to get better with renewable sources, but right now and for good deal into the future the world is going to run on oil. Does anyone honestly believe that when the worlds oil supplies actually start to get low that China, Russia won't start moving on smaller countries in their regions that have oil supplies? What about us looking at the big supplies that are in Mexico and Canada.

Oil makes the world go round. Is that the way it should be, no, but it is the way it is. Deal with it.

I agree that stabilizing the country was necessary, in the oil market especially - but people who say "we went into Iraq for oil" seem to be under the misconception that we went into Iraq so that we could "take control" of their oil and keep it all for ourselves.

Hope that clarifies my statement :D

Last edited:
8Mud said:
Question??? If America had to fight another war, I mean something serious. Would they have enough oil to do it with???
Oil is a strategic resource and will remain so for the foreseeable future. What would you think of a government who let the US get into a position where the means (resources) to fight a war weren't secured???
An axiom as old as war, those who can destroy (stop) a resource, control that resource.
Right or wrong the US now controls a serious percentage of the worlds oil. At some point, right or wrong becomes irrelevant. You either have the means and resources or you don't.

I would guess we have enough, but if there was ever any doubt, I bet we would be in ANWAR and off coast getting every bit of it now.

With the locations our military is deployed to right now, we very easily could control a huge portion of the worlds oil supply if we wanted to.

I think people need to start thing about whats going to happen in this world when supplies actually do start to run out. Friends will no longer be out friends the whole world is going to go crazy.

fscrig75 said:
I would guess we have enough, but if there was ever any doubt, I bet we would be in ANWAR and off coast getting every bit of it now.

With the locations our military is deployed to right now, we very easily could control a huge portion of the worlds oil supply if we wanted to.

I think people need to start thing about whats going to happen in this world when supplies actually do start to run out. Friends will no longer be out friends the whole world is going to go crazy.
I agree!

It is part of the reason I favor pushing alternative energy programs at a much faster pace. It should be part of our national defense policy to do so.

Ecomike said:
I agree!

It is part of the reason I favor pushing alternative energy programs at a much faster pace. It should be part of our national defense policy to do so.

And I do agree with that, but the other two super powers aren't doing that. (Russia/China)

Eventually they will starting making moves against oil, Russia rolling into Georgia. And who is going to be left to help those nations?:patriot:

fscrig75 said:
And I do agree with that, but the other two super powers aren't doing that. (Russia/China)

Eventually they will starting making moves against oil, Russia rolling into Georgia. And who is going to be left to help those nations?:patriot:

Actually China, Russia, and especially Japan, and even Spain are ahead of us now in developing new alternative energy technologies Ultracapacitors, batteries, and Wind turbines), and they are already marketing these technologies that we could have been the first to develop and market had the DOE been provided adequite R & D grant funding the last 8 years. Unfortunately Bush and the Republicans favored oil over alternative energy R & D funding.

Ecomike said:
Actually China, Russia, and especially Japan, and even Spain are ahead of us now in developing new alternative energy technologies Ultracapacitors, batteries, and Wind turbines), and they are already marketing these technologies that we could have been the first to develop and market had the DOE been provided adequite R & D grant funding the last 8 years. Unfortunately Bush and the Republicans favored oil over alternative energy R & D funding.

Somewhat incorrect, the advances in solar and wind we have, various govt agencies like the epa and other 'green' agencies have been throwing roadblocks into deploying it for years. Interior just thru a big one in by not allowing the new solar and wind arrays power lines to cross their lands to hook into the grid. What good is approving the acreage to put the hardware up if you stop the lines to deliver it.
Local govt is another problem, we here in NE Pa are being prevented from putting up wind generators by local town and county zoning, as fast as they can write the zoning codes to prevent it, the nimby's are hard at work in this country and they are winning. The only thing I can think of that could stop it would be a federal regulation that would supersede local laws.
Then look at Ford, they just announced a 65 mpg DIESEL car, they can't or won't sell it here because it does not meet the 'stringent' emissions requirements of the US, last time I looked the European's cleanliness on the new generation of Diesels by BMW, MB, etc was even more strict than here.

The main issue with that is that in addition to Federal EPA stuff, every state has their own laws regarding emissions and fuels. Thats a huge problem with refineries in this country - they have to cater to something like 50+ different blends of gasoline b/c every state has their own requirements.

JNickel101 said:
The main issue with that is that in addition to Federal EPA stuff, every state has their own laws regarding emissions and fuels. Thats a huge problem with refineries in this country - they have to cater to something like 50+ different blends of gasoline b/c every state has their own requirements.

Actually thats partly true, the gas that is sent through the nationwide pipelines goes to EVERY state. It is basically a single formula. Once it gets to the storage tanks at the spigot of the pipeline the additives are put in to comply with that states laws then more additives are put in by the retailer, they put in their individual mojo juice to make it Sunoco, Exxon, Shell, etc. California though may be an exception and a local refinery may produce exclusive fuels for it's local market. I know the Hess one in NJ produces specific gas for 4 states down to the lowest common denominator. Just think how difficult it would be fill a pipeline and have one section with NJ gas, another section with PA gas, another section with NY gas, etc, etc.
The terminal in Whitehall Pa, near allentown, has a 5,000 gallon storage tank with the PA required additives that don't come with the base product, the trucks that pick up that gas with the required additives then add their own special 'branding mojo juice' in 5 gallon containers before the terminal fills their tanker trucks.

Back