• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep "hiccuped" today....

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
So I was cruising down the road around 60mph and all of a sudden the jeep kind of jerked(or hiccuped as I like to call it) like I hit the brakes or it was losing power, I guess... I dunno how to really describe it... It has been doing it every now and then but I can't figure out what it is... Any ideas?

Oh and it happened kind of fast and the jeep ran fine the rest of the day... I didn't really lose any speed from it either.

CPS is what it sounds like to me. Mine did the same thing for about a week, until it got worse and I had to limp it into the shop.

my2monkeys said:
CPS is what it sounds like to me. Mine did the same thing for about a week, until it got worse and I had to limp it into the shop.

Would the CPS also result in poor mileage?

it's an 01 and completely stock other than 30" tires and can't seem to get more than 250 miles to the tank no matter what... Sometime less..

Might want to check both CPS's.... Crank Postion Sensor and Cam Position Sensor...
One controls the spark and the other controls when the fuel injectors fire... Either one could cause this symptom... Wonder how I know that....

Recently I had a similar occurence.... The vehicle stumbled a couple times and died.... Did the usual of listening for the fuel pump to cycle for a few seconds when ignition is turned to ON..., check fuel rail pressure, unplug and plug in the Crank Position Sensor.... NO GOOD...
Had a friend come and tow me home... Found out the Cam Position Sensor inside the distributor had been rubbing on the curved trigger plate causing a 5VDC short. This was caused by a bad distributor bushing....
Worth checking if for nothing else, but to rule it out !!!!!

CPS and associated wiring (connector) is what first comes to mind. IMHO, the cps is probably the most common sensor failure on the Jeep 4.0. Sometimes the failure is related to contact rather than the sensor itself. Try unplugging and cleaning the connector for the CPS and plug back on. If it continues to act up, I'd toss in a new one. If it goes completely out, you will be dead in the water without fuel or spark. Good Luck!

Back