• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My $80 D44 swap

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to start by striping the paint and rust off and repainting it, and fix the leaky pinion seal.

I went up to my Dads, and got to work on the 44 this evening.
DSC01458.jpg

DSC01459.jpg

The spider gears are a little worn, nothing unusuall for 190K, but look good.
DSC01460.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

Got the dif cover and spring perch/u-bolt pad thing into the sand blast cabinet, didn't get the drums in but they will probably get blasted when I blast the whole axle.
DSC01466.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

Shot the dif cover with acid etching primer. Yeah, I'll probably remove a lot of it while I blast the axle but I really didn't want to wait.
DSC01476.jpg

Last edited:
Pulled the passenger side axle, came out easily
DSC01475.jpg

DSC01472.jpg

But the drivers side is going to be a different story, there was a LOT of rust, and damaged the nuts too much to get them off with a wrench now.
DSC01469.jpg

and bent the plate that holds the outer bearing, I'll have to get a new one from the dealership in town.
DSC01470.jpg

I finally got the drivers side axle shaft out.
DSC01482.jpg

This is why it didn't want to come out as easily as the passenger side.
DSC01484.jpg

DSC01485.jpg

Got the drum mounting braket things in the blasting cabinet
DSC01486.jpg

DSC01487.jpg

After about 45 minutes I gave up, my dads cabinet is'nt heavy duty enough for this. The drivers side is about trash.
DSC01494.jpg

passenger side
DSC01493.jpg

Knocking of the big stuff with a grinder, and using POR15 as a primer.
DSC01495.jpg

DSC01497.jpg

DSC01498.jpg

POR15'd it
DSC01505.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

Had to go back with a die grinder and hit it again in some of the nooks and crannies to get some more of the flakey stuff off, then sprayed it again.
DSC01509.jpg

Should be ready to paint tomorrow, think I'm going to go with simi-flat black and paint the dif cover dark silver hammerite.

you should have added $2 worth of engine degreaser at the car wash on that thing before bringing it withing 1/4 mile of your garage! what are your plans for the axle? not just gonna drop it in as-is are you?

Wow, that thing was hammered! I think it's going to end up costing a little more than $80 once you replace all those rusty parts.

I recently finished up a 44 that was just a little grimy. I used to say it was a little rusty, but I no longer have the right to call it rusty after seing those pics of yours! :scared:

Granted I paid $200 for mine but the point of my post is that it still cost me about $100 in paint, parts, fluid, and drum turning on top of my initial investment. Not to mention all the new tools it gave me an excuse to buy.

Looking good so far! Good luck!

Thanks, but no, I bought the axle for $80, by the time I'm done with it, but not right now, I'll have almost 2K in it probably, it's eventually getting a Super 44 with an ARB, but thats not going to happen till I goto 4.5" and 33's because I want to do it the same time I regear to 4.56's.

Though I think I'm going to do the disc brake conversion on it, rather than deal with the drums, just got to figure out from what.

Alright it's been a while since I've updated this, so here is the total cost invested to get it in:

$80 Axle - Junk yard
$40 Paint, new hardware, and grinding wheels - Autozone, hardware store
$25 Ford Explorer disc brake brackets - Junk yard
$30 Calipers - Junk yard (haven't bought yet)
$80 Rotors and Brake pads - Autozone
$50 New brake lines
$20 Gear oil and RTV - Autozone
$65 Axle shaft bearings and seals, pinion seal
$90 Machine shop labor(bearings and seals presed, rotors machined)
$15 Rubicon retainer plates - Jeep dealership
$480

Decided to go with Explorer rear discs, with the Rubicon retainer plates, I needed a new plate anyway, and they were about $13(I rounded up for the list above), and I think teraflex wanted $16 for the spacers, plus the cost of a new XJ retainer, just wasn't worth it.

Went up to my Dads to help him poor the concrete for the addition to his shop(making room to add a lift!), and took the brakets and dust shields with me to sand blast them.

DSC01585.jpg

Used Dupli-color's High-heat engine primer and paint to paint them, should hold up to the heat just fine, picked the engine paint over the caliper paint so I could match the axle paint a little closer, caliper paint was only in high gloss.
DSC01588.jpg

The new slab in the background
DSC01589.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

With the brackets and calipers mocked up
DSC01625.jpg

Didn't have the rotors machined yet, in this pic

Last edited:
Also installed a RE Hack-n-tap at the same time to help adjust for any differences in drive shaft lengths

Rebuilding the JY DS, I love having acess it a sand blasting cabinet:D
DSC01627-1.jpg

The old CV joint, just incase you haven't seen what they look like.
DSC01628-1.jpg

DSC01629.jpg

The new flange CV thats replacing it
DSC01630.jpg

All together now
DSC01631.jpg

Now on to the hack-n-tap
HACK:
I didn't exactally "hack" it off, I used a cut off wheel on the shaft while letting the Jeep idle in drive(2HI), so I'd get a nice even cut, kind of like a big lathe
DSC01633.jpg

DSC01634.jpg

TAP:
DSC01635.jpg

Flange
DSC01636.jpg

Hack-n-tap SYE:
DSC01637.jpg

No more T-case drop
DSC01638.jpg

Last edited:
When it came time to run the brake lines I decided to run something like this:

------------------------------------D44 soft line
--------------------------------------to chasis
-------------------------------------------l
caliper--soft line--hard line-- D44 "T"--hard line--soft line--caliper

The stock Explorer lines looked like this:
drivers side
DSC01643.jpg

passenger side
DSC01642.jpg

I briefly thought about using the explorer setup, but I think that would have caused problems when going with extend lines at a later date, a little more complicated now to save myself some trouble down the road.

And it's in:

DSC02169.jpg

Had a few hiccups, like I forgot my key for my Gorilla lugs, and had to find a way to get them off without it, the u-bolts barely work(a few threads short of making it through the nut), so I had to disconnect the rear sway bar to get a few extra threads till I can get new U-bolts. I did notice a difference in the way it handled and don't like it, will not be pulling the rear sway bar for any reason so long as I drive it on the road. The discs work great, not going to bother with the proportioning valve, no need. Didn't have time to do the pinion seal, but from the way it soaked my undercarriage(you can see the wet spots sprinkled though out the pic, but in front its REALLY BAD), it's getting done in the next day or two. I'm also getting a little noise from the rear end though, I think it may be the carrier bearings, I'm going to get a professional opinion and go from there, should be able to do those myself once I get a little more money.

Back