• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd Thumping Noise from front

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
I have a thumping noise coming from the front of my jeep. It’s a steady "thumping noise that you here mostly between 35 to 60 mph. If you tap and hold just a little pressure on the brakes and maintain speed the thumping goes away. Braking is fine I just replaced the brakes a few months ago with new rotors and new pads. Could that be a sign of U-joints going bad? I got over 150K miles and I think they are the stock joints.

At first it seemed like it was coming from the right side but now seems even over the width of the front. I did change the ball-joints back a month or two ago and when pulled the axles forgot to check the fluid level of the diff, but when check today I did not need to put more than a cup or 1 1/2 cups of diff fluid in.

The thumping does not seam fast enough to be coming from a shaft or tire. It seems to stay fairly steady in the speed range mentioned above, but the gentle press of the brake makes me think that it’s not a motor sound. Thank for any Help or Insight!!

does the pump make that noise? it just started a on a trip i took this week end going down to south Utah from Salt Lake City (250 mile drive) an half way there is a city you drive through and it drops down to 45 and thats the first time I have heard the noise. now its there even on short drives around town. I will check that out. do you have a picture of what the pump looks like or is it the only black looking thing mounted to the pass. fire wall?

did you put an aftermarket exhaust on? cuz sometime's i had that because the muffler was hittin on the frame rail, but when i put the glasspack on it went away. now i only have it if i'm goin if reverse up a hill but it's only cuz it hits the body.

I have the stock exhaust how ever the rear hanger is not on (dont have the bracket for the exhaust hanger after getting the hitch on. but cut the last 4" off so it would not hit on the hitch or the 1.5" shackle that I have installed. would light braking stop the noise if it was exhuast?

When I say light braking if i just let off the gas i brake faster then when i slide my left foot over and press slightly on the brake pedel while keeping the same amount of gas. to maintain speed

it might because when you give it gas you torque the motor which puts a little stress on the exhaust system and cause it to move. if it doesn't have a hanger it might move a little more. put one on and see if it still does it. if it does then it's most likely motor problems

Back