• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AlloyUSA d30 axle shaft clearance issue?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I put a pair of alloyUSA d30 shaft assembles in and didnt have a problem until yesterday. When Im making a tight turn with the steering locked either direction I get some rubbing/bidding.

I lifted the front and spun each wheel to make sure its not stuck in 4x4. The wheels spin just fine straight and fine until the steering is at full lock. When at full lock the ears on the outer axle stub make contact with the inner shaft yoke(I should take a pic). Its very minor contact, just a rub but its enough to feel when the wheel turns and leave rub marks on the yokes. No metal seems to be gouged out but still contact where there should be none. Its only happening at one spot during rotation other wise its fine. As if turning the wheel it contacts at 1'oclock then is smooth the rest of the rotation. If I turn the wheel, feel that spot contact and turn the steering a hair it clears/no rub. Nothing else rubs at full lock except the outer ears at that one spot.

Nothing seems bent or out of place, just that its a tiny clearance issue. Im wondering is there a way to mechanically limit my steering as to not reach that full lock? Or, do I just have to be aware and not turn the wheel to lock? Or, just let it rub and wear away enough material so it doesnt touch anymore lol.

Yep, dial back the stops until they don't hit.

Or, you could get out your Dremel and grind enough off the yokes so they clear. On my D60, I ground the yokes.

Back