• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pads

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
as soon as i get paid i'm doing my disk swap on my 44 using crown vic parts. my question is what would be wrong with getting some brake pads at pull a parts instead of buying new ones? i know the new ones would be better but how bad can j/y ones be?

it really depends on if you want to stop or not.

you have to ask yourself this question: Who is most likely to have driven the CV at the JY. Answer: Cabbies, Cops, and old people.

The first two drive it like a rental and put the cheapest brakes on it possible, the latter probably ride the shit out of their brakes.

New brakes cost around $20. Just get a new set.

(n) If you can afford to spend the $$ on the conversion, you have the money for new pads. It's the same amount of work to put the used pads on as new ones. You should actually use the calipers you get at the boneyard as cores for rebuilt units but I can understand reusing them but used brake pads are like used condoms. You can re-use them, but why would you?

I see no problem using pads from the JY as long as they are not distorted badly. I would also sand them to remove any glazing and they should work fine until you can get new ones.
I always get the lifetime warranty ones from autozone because when they wear out all I have to do is return them and get a free set.

cherokee chuck said:
(n) If you can afford to spend the $$ on the conversion, you have the money for new pads. It's the same amount of work to put the used pads on as new ones. You should actually use the calipers you get at the boneyard as cores for rebuilt units but I can understand reusing them but used brake pads are like used condoms. You can re-use them, but why would you?

Because they're softer the second time?

i'm getting new pads, also rebuilding the stock calipers. even getting the rotors shaved down. it was a fast/stupid thought.

Back