• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody used this shift kit in the AW4?

igotanxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I've been scouring the internet for rebuild kits and shift kits for the AW4 and I had been very unlucky for a while until I hit a gold mine. :) Transtar industries sells a rubuild kit for when mine bites the dust. The AW4 is made by Aisin Warner (obviously) which also makes the transmissions for Toyota who installs it in their trucks and 4 runners but calls it the A340. The only difference is that the AW4 has a removable bellhousing and transfer case whereas the A340 does not. So I came upon this site who sells modified valve bodies with their custom "shift kit" installed. They claim they are the only company who does this for the A340 (AW4). Does anybody run these or has anybody figured out a way to do it yourself? Its an absolute joke for over $600! Especially since they just modify your existing valve body and send it back! I really like the feel of shift kits and I figure it will help the trans last longer anyway. What you guys think?

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/inventory.cgi?action=description&item_id=TkMMRUmlsCdmY7nNNCSbbEJxxBcZdy

tigerShark said:
wow, thats expensive. what exactly does the shift kit do for the trans?

read the link I posted.

I honestly wouldn't really even think about upgrading unless you:

a. have a stroker
b. have a SC or turbo setup
c. tow regularly

The factory trans is just fine for most people.

A shift kit firms up the shifts so there is no slippage between gears. Unless you have a built motor you don't want a shift kit in a 4wd. I've had them in a couple of fs trucks, including my F-150 with a mild built 351-W[Performer intake, Holley & lumpy cam] & they are hard on u-joints. My tranny guy talked me into it & the hard shifts suck in a 4wd. Most of us are hard enough on axles & driveshafts without needlessly hard shifts. Eventually I'll drop the pan in my Ford & put a stock valve body back in it. I love the shift kit in my El Camino btw. Just my opinion.

Back