• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arm questions. Too long.

chris_ce

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a Cherokee from a friend that bought LCA's and built the uppers. The thing is that when I took it all apart to put on My Cherokee I noticed that the upper arms are the same length as the lower arms.
Is there going to be any problems running like this. (he did for for a little while). I had it out once to try things out and it seemed ok. The problem I notice is the steering seems loose and part of it was hitting the steering dampener bolt.
Is this going to limit the flexing of the front or cause any other problems.
By the way this doesn't get driven on the street.
I have seen the charts that list how long they should be but for my 6 inches it is saying that the UCA only needs to be a 1/2 inch longer is that right?
Let me know what you guys think.

On your chart it even says that stock UCA's are 15 inches and with a 6 inch lift they should be 15.5. I know that mine are at least 17.

Well then, if yours are 17" then I'm going to say they aren't stock.

:shrug:

I know they aren't stock they are custom made. I am wanting to know the good or bad of having them over the recommended length of 15.5.

Having them to long or to short will cause the caster to be off which in turn will greatly affect steering the more it's off. If they're supposed to be 15.5" and your's are 17 then it's highly likely that's what's causing the problem with your steering. Since the PO "made" them did he make them a fixed length or did he make them with any adjustability built in? If they're fixed then you probably want to swap out for new adjustable one's to get everything set back right.

If the arms are too long, not only can you cause steering problems as Dave mentions, but the additional length will push the axle and springs into the tierod and trackbar.

Jim

Just wanted to make sure... you are measuring from the center of the mounting holes, and not the ends, right?

What length are the lowers? I guess it's possible he made them to extend the wheelbase some? :dunno: .

I am measuring from the centers of the bolt holes. The lowers are I think skyjackers adjustable arms. He said that he made the top just like the lowers.
There is some nice Heims joints in one end so there is a little adjustablity but they are in all the way.

the additional length will push the axle and springs into the tierod and trackbar.
That is one of the problems that I am having Where the two steering shaft come together it was hitting the bolt from the steering dampener.

I must say that a benefit of being to long is the pinion angle is great.

Looks like I start to make new ones and see if I can get it to steer better.
Thanks Guys.

I just went to 6 inches on mine and set the uca at 15.5 and lower at 17. Ended up with 10 degrees caster and nice crisp steering. The pinion angle is very steep, haven't measured it yet but may add a little to the uca for better pinion angle and 8 degrees caster.

Back