• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 jeep larado no start

blue96jeep

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

i just picked up a 1992 larado with 170mi on the clock, the guy i got it said it ran rough and had a metal to metal sound. well once i got it home started to diag it, here is where i got so far metal sound is cat hitting cross member due to vibratiing so much from running rough, no biggie. running rough well..... turns out spark plugs gaped wrong and cap and rotor show signs of wear. so i replaced the plugs, cap, and rotor but kept wires they looked ok. now i have a no start but cranks.

so my questions are i have a 1996 FSM for my 96 cherokee, and is the information the same, if not where could i get 1992 info from.

i also did some diag here is what i got.

Battery-good
fuel- primes and fuel at the rail
coil and plugs- have spark, nice and purple
air filter- little dirty

thanks
Ryan
user_online.gif

Did you move the distributor? Since it started before the change but not after, you wiring is still suspect. Make it it's like this;

firing_order.jpg

Yes i have it like that, i have a 96 FSM that i working out of. Someone told me that this year 1992 have some type of resistor on the firewall for the starting system, ever heard of it.

ryan

Check around the starter relay to make sure you didn't break a wire or something simple like that. Maybe the new distributor is bad. Use a volt meter set on 'AC' and test the CPS just to make sure you're getting a signal from it when you crank the engine.

Back