• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best riding shock?

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking for a new set of shocks to replace my RE twin tubes, i was thinking about bilsteins whats the smoothest riding shock i can get?

I have experience with
Monroe sensatrac
Rancho RSX
Rancho RS 5000
Rough Country
Bilstein 5100
Skyjacker Nitro.

Of those the Bilstein is hands down the best and smoothest.

Wow, that's quite the list. My experience is with Rough Country Nitro 9000s and Bilstein 5150s, and I *really* like the Bilsteins. Much better ride that the RCs.

I've personally run rusty's, DTs, and bilsteins (for aftermarket shocks), and you can't even compare the others to the bileseins. They're freaking amazing!

For the money, I love my skyjacker nitros. Got em for like $33 each. The bushings suck though. Mine exploded on me and were replaced with energy suspension bushing from auto zone. They were about $5 a set. So far so good!

yeah seems like i hear a lot about like RE mono tubes vs. OMEs some ppl say one or the other is smoother, but ive never heard bad of hte bilsetins. I think they are kind of expensive though, how much are hte 5150s?

I think my 5100s for 4" lift was like 315.00 or around their on Ebay . I have had 5100s on 3 different vehicles and can't find fault with them at all . Something I have wondered about though , back in about 1982 I had a set of yellow shocks that were designed to be mounted inverted compared to most others . Funny thing was they were called Nitrochargers back then and they seemed to of disappeared. For some reason I keep thinking I saw that same logo written on the side of my Brother in-laws Emu shocks a couple years ago when we installed them .It sounded familiar then but wasn't sure where because all I was hearing was OME nothing about Nitrochargers . I was just wondering if they are the same shock and if so I wish I could remember who claimed to be the manufacturer back then , I don't recall anthing pertaining to birds though. Sucks getting old ,can't remember diddly.

"Nitrochargers" are the OME shocks. A usual identifier is that there is a metal guard around the piston, instead of a shock boot.

I like my 5150s, but I haven't run any other shocks with this lift setup to be able to compare. I couldnt find any OME shocks for the length I needed, so I went with Bilstein.

x10 on Bilsteins, threw the 2-3" lift 5100's on my somewhat stiff bastard pack lift, and it now drives better than stock. They're firm but more forgiving the more you throw at them.

I had the 5100 and just went to the 7100 bilstein and they are awsome!!! Best shock i've ever had on any XJ!!

emr1101 said:
so are they SOFT? Im not looking for firm whats the softest shock i can get? Bilstein 5100 or 5150???
Bilsteins 5150 are not soft. 70/255 valving. If you want soft just get some cheap monroe sensatracks, or better would be the OME. But if your rig is lifted more than 4" you are better off with the rebound control of the 5150's.

7100SB.jpg

This shock is fun to ride.

What is the best place to order the 5150s? And if you do order them do you have to get the adapter for the top mount in the front of the xj?

Bilstien makes a great shock. They utlize the largest shafts, pistons and bushings out of any mfg, which greatly reduce the chances of blowout and increase the life of the shock. The larger piston also provides a much better control of rebound, reduces heat, and is more consistant through out the life of the shock.

I have seen this proven on shock dyno's time and time again. The only other shocks that compare are ones that have essentially copied the bilstien design.

Their bullet proof design has allowed me to use their basic street shock on my race car with a 700lb spring rate, which would simply destroy a lesser shock.

Back